Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Cards - Apply or Not To Apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Cards - Apply or Not To Apply?

A few weeks ago I opened a Chase checking account, and signed up for direct deposit, I just recently hit the two year mark of not applying for any new credit. I currently have a fico score of 740 to 750ish across the three bureaus, total UTI of 16%. One inquiry on Ex, one inquiry on TU(due to fall off next month), zero inquiries on EQ. No negatives. I don't have any pre approved offers showing in the app, and I get the "no offers at this time", when I go to the prequalify site. Would it be wise to not apply at this time with no offers available? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Cards - Apply or Not To Apply?

@Anonymous wrote:

A few weeks ago I opened a Chase checking account, and signed up for direct deposit, I just recently hit the two year mark of not applying for any new credit. I currently have a fico score of 740 to 750ish across the three bureaus, total UTI of 16%. One inquiry on Ex, one inquiry on TU(due to fall off next month), zero inquiries on EQ. No negatives. I don't have any pre approved offers showing in the app, and I get the "no offers at this time", when I go to the prequalify site. Would it be wise to not apply at this time with no offers available? 

Based on the info you have shared there's no real reason why you shouldn't apply especially if one of your existing cards has a credit limit at least in the $5-10K range.

Failure to prequalify with Chase doesn't translate to slim odds of approval.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on the info you have shared there's no real reason why you shouldn't apply especially if one of your existing cards has a credit limit at least in the $5-10K range.

Appreciate your response. I have two NFCU cards with 29k limit, one Amex with 30k limit. And few other cards 9k and higher. I think I'm nervous due to how I learned about how conservative they are with their approvals, and if you don't have any offers, and their 5/24 rule. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-------

Any info on which card would be best to apply for as a first card with them? 

Message 4 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Don't apply for "best first card", apply for the card you can use. 

That's a waste of an application, and financial waste for you. 

You don't need a prequal as long as you're under 5/24. 

Message 5 of 14
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

If you are near a branch, stop in there and ask if they have any offers for you.  The branches often have access to different credit card promotions.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 14
Vegasr
Regular Contributor

Based on your DPs I'd like to think you're good to go and should anticipate a good SL.  The Freedom Unlimited is a solid card to have. The $200 bonus after $500 spend is great plus no interest for 15 months.

Apply away and good luck 

Embarrassing amount of credit cards
AoOA: 25yrs
Message 7 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

if you are under 5/24 you do not need offers to apply for Chase

Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Appreciate your response. I have two NFCU cards with 29k limit, one Amex with 30k limit. And few other cards 9k and higher. I think I'm nervous due to how I learned about how conservative they are with their approvals, and if you don't have any offers, and their 5/24 rule. 

based off your other limits i assume you have high income. Chase likes high income individuals and usually rewards them with high limits. 

Message 9 of 14
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I just got approved for the Freedom Flex without being prequalied on their website.  Your stats are better than mine.  I guarantee you will get approved for any of their cards you apply for.  

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.