cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase/Citi/CapOne -- lifetime ban after old CO?

tag
DSBABC
Established Member

Chase/Citi/CapOne -- lifetime ban after old CO?

Does a past, unpaid CO, from many years ago (10-20+ years), act to permanently ban a person (for life), from ever again establishing a credit card with that company in the future?

If not a lifetime ban, then what is the timeline/scenario?

Specifically:

• Chase
  • Citi
  • Capital One

I've heard that some card issuers/banks will apply a lifetime ban; whereas, others might have a long memory, but will eventually allow it.

Considering that these three companies appear to offer so many of the mainstream credit cards; I'm curious if there is any information as to the possibility of a person (ever) re-establishing credit with these card issuers after a long period of time -- or whether perhaps not even worth the app inquiry if they might have a strict internal policy (e.g. lifetime-ban) in place.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase/Citi/CapOne -- lifetime ban after old CO?

@DSBABC wrote:

Does a past, unpaid CO, from many years ago (10-20+ years), act to permanently ban a person (for life), from ever again establishing a credit card with that company in the future?

Depends on the issuer. Lots of DPs here of people who burned issuers in the past who are now back in.

You can burn Cap1 money on fire and they'll prob let you back in a year. 

You burn a Barclays dollar and you're done for life. 

Chase and Citi are probably in between 1 year and life. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@GZG wrote:

@DSBABC wrote:

Depends on the issuer. Lots of DPs here of people who burned issuers in the past who are now back in.

The last comment isn't necessarily accurate as far as a "life" BL, though. However, it is factual that both have long memories.

Citi and Chase are flexible with rekindling the 'old flame' just by the sheer number of DPs of individuals who have been able to get approved, especially after 10, let alone 20 years -- provided profiles meet UW criteria. In some cases Chase can be successful via reconsideration, but the only way to know for sure is if/when the OP applies.

Message 3 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Cap One is quite forgiving, so no worries there. Chase/Citi can take years; it just depends on your profile and how much you burned them for.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Cap One is fairly easy to get back with

I burned Citi back in the early 90's for $1700 on a Visa Drivers Edge and just recently got back in with them (Roughly 18 years to get back in.)

I've never burned Chase or anyone that they've bought out, but it isn't unheard of for people to get back in after a decade or so. Getting a SP denial means you're still on the naughty list. HP means you're forgiven, but something else on your reports are holding you back.

Message 5 of 12
MrFiah
New Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

The last comment isn't necessarily accurate as far as a "life" BL, though. However, it is factual that both have long memories.

Thus, making it accurate as a "long memory" would likely fall between 1 year and life......Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MrFiah wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Thus, making it accurate as a "long memory" would likely fall between 1 year and life......Smiley Wink

Semantics aside, and as has been pointed out, there is no lifetime ban for Citi and Chase, even for post-BK profiles. Having a "long memory" ≠ "life". Period.

Message 7 of 12
drboxing
Established Contributor

No not a lifetime ban but the ban can last for a while. It took me 10 years to get back in with AMEX, less years to get back with Chase.

Message 8 of 12
dacv01
Regular Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@DSBABC wrote:

HA! Was having a sub par day until I read this... thanks for the chuckle. 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 9 of 12
onepeace25
Valued Member

Hi there, I had a very similar situation. 4 CO from 2019-2020ish. 1 Amazon prime card, 1 Cap1 platinum, 1 chase freedom and CSR. I settled them all and got approved for the discover it secured in 2020 for 500 CL. Ever since I've also gotten 2 cap1 cards, the platinum and then quicksilver both unsecured. I have heard chase can have a long memory. I have been rejected by them 3 times (waste of hp), don't plan to try again anytime soon. Some info on my sig. Hope this helps

Discover IT $4,300 | US Bank Cash Plus $1000 | Capital One Savor One $1,500 | Capital One Quicksilver $500 | Citi Custom Cash $2,400 | Citi Double Cash $2,400 | Affinity FCU Cash Rewards $12,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Gold
- Total Revolving Limits $24,100

Gross Income - ~$70,000
4 Settled CO. Paid for settlement in January 2020~
(Update: December 2022):
AAoA - 2 Years 2 Months
Oldest Card: Discover IT - 2 Year 2 Month
Youngest Card: American Express Gold - Opened February 2023

Current FICO 8 scores:
Experian: 700
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.