Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Denial

tag
cem13
Established Contributor

Chase Denial

As I mentioned in a few recent previous posts, I went on an app spree this week.  Approved are new car, Apple Card, Ducks Unlimited, Citi Double Cash, NFCU Platinum (3rd card) and personal loan.  These accounts have not reported yet.

I felt a little froggy so I leaped on the Chase Freedom and instantly denied.  They pulled TU (F08 709) & EX (F08 697).  I live in Michigan (Go Blue).  I have BK7 JAN2011 and I had Chase IIB, so I imagine this is the reason for the denial.  I applied for Chase Slate 2 years ago and denied due to "BK7 on file" but no mention of previous relationship.  I have Chase checking and run more than $11,000 per month through them.

I will re-apply in 12 months when the BK7 drops off and see if they have a memory.  Overall, I am not that disapointed because I know Chase is conservative and I have plenty of available credit.  However, for me, Chase is one of those "gotta have" cards.  I really like their website and they have several branches near me.

31DEC19 UPDATE:  The denial letter says "Your credit report reflects a bankruptcy".  The letter mentions TU as the CRA but not EQ.  Also, it shows the credit scoring as "Card Acquition Risk score V2".  My score is 687 while my TU F08 is 723.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Denial

@cem13 wrote:

As I mentioned in a few recent previous posts, I went on an app spree this week.  Approved are new car, Apple Card, Ducks Unlimited, Citi Double Cash, NFCU Platinum (3rd card) and personal loan.  These accounts have not reported yet.

I felt a little froggy so I leaped on the Chase Freedom and instantly denied.  They pulled TU (F08 709) & EX (F08 697).  I live in Michigan (Go Blue).  I have BK7 JAN2011 and I had Chase IIB, so I imagine this is the reason for the denial.  I applied for Chase Slate 2 years ago and denied due to "BK7 on file" but no mention of previous relationship.  I have Chase checking and run more than $11,000 per month through them.

I will re-apply in 12 months when the BK7 drops off and see if they have a memory.  Overall, I am not that disapointed because I know Chase is conservative and I have plenty of available credit.  However, for me, Chase is one of those "gotta have" cards.  I really like their website and they have several branches near me.

People need to remember that when Bankruptcys, late payments, NSF payments and so on get recorded by a lender the fact the event(s) are off the credit bureau reports does not mean they forgot. American Express is one noted for having a long memory. Now the lender may or may not choose to use the old past information but, it is still in their records. They do not have to delete/remove it.

Message 2 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@cem13 wrote:

Congrats on your approvals, Sorry for your Chase denialSmiley Sad

At least you got approved for some decent cards.

Happy upcoming New YearSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

Does Chase have a long memory? I've burned both Chase and Amex in my Ch. 13 BK back in 2012. Amex for $17k, and Chase for $24k. I know I may be blacklisted with Amex for life unless I repay them $17k. 

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kjonesjr00 wrote:

Does Chase have a long memory? I've burned both Chase and Amex in my Ch. 13 BK back in 2012. Amex for $17k, and Chase for $24k. I know I may be blacklisted with Amex for life unless I repay them $17k. 

Yes, akin to an elephant. The larger the burn, the likely longer the memory. 

Message 5 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@kjonesjr00 You can add Barclays to the list as well...they'll never let me forget that Juniper iTunes card.
Message 6 of 8
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Chase has a long memory too. There was someone on these forums that applied with Chase after his BK7 fell off of his CR's. His scores were almost in the 800's. He was declined for prior relationship. When he tried to recon, they told him he would be considered only if he paid back what he burned Chase for. I know it was for over 10k. 

I'm blacklisted myself as IIB Chase for 5K on 12/2016, and I also bank with them and have a savings with them. 

Message 7 of 8
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@kjonesjr00 wrote:

Yes, akin to an elephant. The larger the burn, the likely longer the memory. 

Out of curiosity, what is considered a large burn?  I burned chase for about 15k (expecting to never get back in and their rewards don't justify saving up that kind of cash to repay after IIB) and citi for about 5k.  Will citi forgive me some day (even if it is not until the bk falls off entirely)?  To me my total burn of 45k was crazy huge, but then I read of folks that burned a single lender for more than I burned 13 total lenders for.  I see no difference, defaulting is defaulting, but do the banks see it differently?

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.