Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase FU CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase FU CLI

I got the Chase FU last August but havent really used it much since then, maybe $1k total in the 10 months i've had it. Because of that, I simply don't see them giving me a CLI if I request one, even though all my other cards/lines have been increased and my scores are good.

Knowing that my chances are low for a CLI if I ask regularly, would I have a better chance at approval if I told the CSR that I was planning on making a large purchase and needed a larger limit to do it? Also, does the Chase 5/24 rule count towards CLI's as well? I'm continuing school soon and I need a new laptop for my program so I thought this would be a good chance to start working on the CFU and potentially get an increase.

My income is going up shortly so i'm going to switch my focus from my Discover card over to my CFU so that I can start getting the limit increased on it now.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chase FU CLI

Unfortunately no, saying you have a large purchase coming up won't make a difference. Banks now a days just go by what the computer decides. Occasionally an UW can override a decision, but I don't think the large purchase thing would persuade them.

And no, the 5/24 rule doesn't apply to CLI. Only new accounts.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card issuers are required to evaluate credit request on the basis of "ability to repay."  So unless or until your income increases its doubtful that Chase would increase your current limit.  They wouldn't increase your limit solely because you plan to use it for a large purchase.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Unfortunately no, saying you have a large purchase coming up won't make a difference. Banks now a days just go by what the computer decides. Occasionally an UW can override a decision, but I don't think the large purchase thing would persuade them.

That's unfortunate. Guess i'll have to do it the usual way and request one when I get more activity on the card then, thank you!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit card issuers are required to evaluate credit request on the basis of "ability to repay."  So unless or until your income increases its doubtful that Chase would increase your current limit.  They wouldn't increase your limit solely because you plan to use it for a large purchase.

How do they evaluate ability to repay? My income is only going to get a modest increase, nothing huge, but enough for me to spend more on the card. My credit history should show that I can repay the card easily, util is always under 30%,  under 10% more often than not. Never missed a payment, and all my other cards have decently higher limits than my CFU. My DTI is good as well. I don't see a reason why they would deny me besides the actual activity on the card itself, which is sadly only about $100 this year so far. The low limit really pushes me away from wanting to use the card.

I know currently they wouldn't approve me for a CLI normally, thats why I was hoping a large purchase might change that. I've heard of others doing similar for other cards/lines.

Message 5 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How do they evaluate ability to repay? My income is only going to get a modest increase, nothing huge, but enough for me to spend more on the card. My credit history should show that I can repay the card easily, util is always under 30%,  under 10% more often than not. Never missed a payment, and all my other cards have decently higher limits than my CFU. My DTI is good as well. I don't see a reason why they would deny me besides the actual activity on the card itself, which is sadly only about $100 this year so far. The low limit really pushes me away from wanting to use the card.

I know currently they wouldn't approve me for a CLI normally, thats why I was hoping a large purchase might change that. I've heard of others doing similar for other cards/lines.

Chase does notice if you put their cards through heavy use and PIF (or at least PIF over 2 or 3 months.) On a $500 limit card it's difficult to say though without knowing your stats on why they gave you that limit to begin with. I've gotten 3 automatic CLI's from Chase over time and it's always been when I was spending heavily on that specific card.  One other thing to do is update your new earnings with Chase. Even if it's modest, it could be enough to put you over an internal threshold that may be holding you back.

The only way you're really going to know is by putting more spend through your CFU and seeing what happens if you want it SP, otherwise I'd ramp up the spend for a few months and take the HP after that.

As far as Discover, they're the same way... They'll reward you for heavy spend sometimes automatically. Otherwise, they're CLI's are generally SP, but without showing use, they'll likely come back with "Insufficient use of existing credit line." (I've seen it many times!), but also remember to update your income here as well.

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Just to piggiback on this, there have been some DPs that point 5/24 conditions to CLIs as well in some cases.

@Anonymous- Chase can determine your 'ability to repay' with a variety of different methods, internally and externally (aside from the income information provided on the application).

When you obtained this card, was it approved through reconsideration or were you approved automatically for $500?  I'm assuming that's the current CL based on your signature info.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase does notice if you put their cards through heavy use and PIF (or at least PIF over 2 or 3 months.) On a $500 limit card it's difficult to say though without knowing your stats on why they gave you that limit to begin with. I've gotten 3 automatic CLI's from Chase over time and it's always been when I was spending heavily on that specific card.  One other thing to do is update your new earnings with Chase. Even if it's modest, it could be enough to put you over an internal threshold that may be holding you back.

The only way you're really going to know is by putting more spend through your CFU and seeing what happens if you want it SP, otherwise I'd ramp up the spend for a few months and take the HP after that.

As far as Discover, they're the same way... They'll reward you for heavy spend sometimes automatically. Otherwise, they're CLI's are generally SP, but without showing use, they'll likely come back with "Insufficient use of existing credit line." (I've seen it many times!), but also remember to update your income here as well.

Yeah when I get this increase on my income I should have enough to max the card out and PIF every month so thats what I might do and see if they give me an auto CLI, if not i'm sure a few a months of that is plenty to request a CLI myself and get one. Discover has actually been very generous to me, I don't ever go anywhere near my limit on that card and I always carry a balance on it but I keep getting CLIs from them. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Just to piggiback on this, there have been some DPs that point 5/24 conditions to CLIs as well in some cases.

@Anonymous- Chase can determine your 'ability to repay' with a variety of different methods, internally and externally (aside from the income information provided on the application).

When you obtained this card, was it approved through reconsideration or were you approved automatically for $500?  I'm assuming that's the current CL based on your signature info.

I was approved automatically for the $500, not sure why I got stuck with such a low SL considering all my other cards/lines at the time had $1k+ limits and my Discover was even at $5k. Another option I see people mention is to apply for a new card and reallocate the limit over to the card I want to keep, but I don't really want another card and another account dragging my AAoA down more so i'm not going that route.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd suggest doing a Google search for the phrase "ability to repay" to get a fuller understanding. In another thread you stated that your annual income is $14,000.  Your current credit limits exceed your annual income.  That in itself would not be a major factor, but when you're starting from such a low amount a lender would be concerned that you could easily get in over your head if you increase spending on all your current cards.  "Ability to repay" is based on several factors such as your stated income,  your income verification based on third-party sources, your current employment status, availability of other liquid assets, etc.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.