Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denied, Over 5/24 , Hard Decline 2019

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Denied, Over 5/24 , Hard Decline 2019

To start off I have gone to gardending now. Just wanted to prodevide some data points, I am over 5/24. Chase rep told me if they declined because of having too many inquires it is hard decline and nothing they can do and won't do. I looked through the forum and some people said they got approved in branch or whatnot.  She did not even bother to check anything and also won't shift credit line as per advice here. I guess they are really cracking down, removing benefits. I have been a Chase customer for over 10 years and have checking. Churning is became harder and harder. 😩

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Denied, Over 5/24 , Hard Decline 2019

The people that were over 5/24 and approved in branch had a pre-approval. Did you have them check for one before you applied? Even those are not guaranteed to be approved, but chances are better.
Message 2 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

To start off I have gone to gardending now. Just wanted to prodevide some data points, I am over 5/24. Chase rep told me if they declined because of having too many inquires it is hard decline and nothing they can do and won't do. I looked through the forum and some people said they got approved in branch or whatnot.  She did not even bother to check anything and also won't shift credit line as per advice here. I guess they are really cracking down, removing benefits. I have been a Chase customer for over 10 years and have checking. Churning is became harder and harder. 😩

Thoughts?

Let me get this straight...

You're aware of their "rules", you know there are exceptions, you had nothing to indicate they were willing to bend the rules in your case, they deny you  to prevent churning, then you complain that churning is getting harder while denied for that exact reason? 

That does not fit under "removing benefits", that's a loss prevention. 

Yeah, garden. Or Amex. 

Message 3 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:  Let me get this straight...

You're aware of their "rules", you know there are exceptions, you had nothing to indicate they were willing to bend the rules in your case, they deny you  to prevent churning, then you complain that churning is getting harder while denied for that exact reason? 

That does not fit under "removing benefits", that's a loss prevention. 

Yeah, garden. Or Amex. 

Exactly, Remy Smiley Wink

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts?

I've read your comment multiple times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say or what are your "data points."  

A denial for too many inquiries is not the same as a denial for being over 5/24. The 5/24 rule only counts revolving credit accounts/lines of credit opened in the last 24 months...it has nothing to do with the number of inquiries on a credit report pulled by Chase.

It is possible to get a Chase card via an in-branch approval.  All three of my Chase cards were obtained through in-branch approvals while I was significantly over 5/24.  Although at the time, the Chase Amazon card was no subject to the 5/24 rule.

You'd get no sympathy from me regarding churning...if you look at it from the other perspective, churning is the reason why lenders are reducing/restricting benefits.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The people that were over 5/24 and approved in branch had a pre-approval. Did you have them check for one before you applied? Even those are not guaranteed to be approved, but chances are better.

Although I suppose it happens; I've never seen anyone with an in-branch pre-approval who wasn't approved after applying.  Its the "Selected for You" and "Just for You" offers that have a lower likelihood of approval; there are several data points of people with "Selected for You" pre-approvals who were still denied when they submitted the actual application.

Message 6 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Churning is became harder and harder. 😩

Thoughts?

You'd get no sympathy from me regarding churning...if you look at it from the other perspective, churning is the reason why lenders are reducing/restricting benefits.

+1 

Well said. I also don’t blame the banks at all for their policies. These very generous SUBs we have now have not always been so common, for those of us with many decades of credit. It’s a shame that churning could ruin a good thing for the general population because of the excesses and greed of a few. Those SUBs are provided to try to entice new clients and build business.  IMO, applying for multiple cards year after year for accounts you have no intention to keep or with banks you don’t plan to give further business is simply abusing the system. 

Ironically, OP posted about another churning complaint at link below. I thought trying to complain to CFPB over decline for churning was brash, to say it diplomatically. Unreal to say the least.   Smiley Surprised  

They showed pre-aproval for Bank of America Cash Rewards and I applied and denied. Tried to recon, nope. I submitted a complain with CFPB since I wasted a hard pull and to their credit I was over 5/24. It is getting hard to get approved for churners.”

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/BofA-Premium-Rewards-decline/m-p/5777312#M244736

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dude why you churn poor little CF for?  Find some big boys to slap around!   Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Churning is became harder and harder. 😩

Thoughts?

+1 

Well said. I also don’t blame the banks at all for their policies. These very generous SUBs we have now have not always been so common, for those of us with many decades of credit. It’s a shame that churning could ruin a good thing for the general population because of the excesses and greed of a few. Those SUBs are provided to try to entice new clients and build business.  IMO, applying for multiple cards year after year for accounts you have no intention to keep or with banks you don’t plan to give further business is simply abusing the system. 

Ironically, OP posted about another churning complaint at link below. I thought trying to complain to CFPB over decline for churning was brash, to say it diplomatically. Unreal to say the least.   Smiley Surprised  

They showed pre-aproval for Bank of America Cash Rewards and I applied and denied. Tried to recon, nope. I submitted a complain with CFPB since I wasted a hard pull and to their credit I was over 5/24. It is getting hard to get approved for churners.”

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/BofA-Premium-Rewards-decline/m-p/5777312#M244736

The OP was abusing the CFPB system? Well that is surprising. Seemed so unlike them.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

With extensive experience... I would check this off as a bait posting and move on.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.