Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Denied

Hi all!

Long time lurker here!  I applied for the Chase Freedom card yesterday with a Fico score of 746 according to Discover and received the 7-10 day message, so naturally I called their reconsideration number and they told me I was denied for having too few accounts and for having insufficient credit history.  Now, I only have two credit cards with the oldest being the Discover It which is only ten months old and a Quicksilver from Capital One which I only got last month and was not showing up in their records.  I called the reconsideration number again and they told me the same thing.  Today I tried calling their credit analyst number and after confirming some information and being put on hold I was denied again.  So naturally I tried a fourth time and this time I really pled my case telling them that while my credit history was short it was flawless.  I told them I constantly kept my utilization low, paid my balance in full every month and lived well within my means.  After being put on hold I was told I was denied yet again!

What should I do at this point?  I have heard stories of people calling five and six times before getting approved, I've even heard stories of people writing letters to the executive office before being approved.  I am willing to do anything at this point as this card would complete my ideal wallet and the $200 cash back offer is perfect for holiday shopping.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Denied

What does your fico look like? I would recommend applying for Barclays. The major lenders always want to see about 4 tradelines before they approve you. If not that maybe a store card or 2 to add to your file?

Message 2 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Some creditors like to see a year of history. You may have to wait 6 months and try again. Good Luck with your credit journey!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 19
alphaleo26
New Contributor

So strange I got the csp and the freedom and I got my 1st cc in july so it's not even 4 months old yet, Of course I only applied after I got a offer on the prequal site. Might want to check there to see if an offer pops up. 

Starting Score: EQ:582 (fico) Tu Fico 692 8-23-14 7-5-14 Ex Fico 659

Current Score EQ 717 (fico) 11-18-14 Tu Fico 754 11-17-14 Ex fico 747 11-17-14

Inq's EQ 6 (5 this yr) TU 1 EX 5 ( 2 this yr)

Goal Score: 760+

Secured Wells fargo 300 Secured Discover it 200 Cap one qs1 1500 jcrew 1050 buckle 300
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe I forgot to mention this!  I have a Fico score of 746 as of 11/07 according to Discover.  Thank you I have edited my original post to include this. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't believe I forgot to mention this!  I have a Fico score of 746 as of 11/07 according to Discover.  Thank you I have edited my original post to include this. Smiley Happy

Any idea what your other two are?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my very first credit card (Cap1 Journey) in March of this year and I got approved for a CSP yesterday, so your short history shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What does your fico look like? I would recommend applying for Barclays. The major lenders always want to see about 4 tradelines before they approve you. If not that maybe a store card or 2 to add to your file?

This is not a bad idea I think I will apply for a Barclays soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh boy, my credit situation is almost exactly the same as yours, and I was planning on applying for the Freedom due to the 200$ bonus. This is not very encouraging Smiley Sad

- Feb-Mar 2014 got a Discover It

- Oct 2014 got a Capital One QS (still not reporting)

- A couple of inquires here and there

- Score from the Discover website: 732

Now I'm not sure whether I should pull the trigger or not anymore

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

Long time lurker here!  I applied for the Chase Freedom card yesterday with a Fico score of 746 according to Discover and received the 7-10 day message, so naturally I called their reconsideration number and they told me I was denied for having too few accounts and for having insufficient credit history.  Now, I only have two credit cards with the oldest being the Discover It which is only ten months old and a Quicksilver from Capital One which I only got last month and was not showing up in their records.  I called the reconsideration number again and they told me the same thing.  Today I tried calling their credit analyst number and after confirming some information and being put on hold I was denied again.  So naturally I tried a fourth time and this time I really pled my case telling them that while my credit history was short it was flawless.  I told them I constantly kept my utilization low, paid my balance in full every month and lived well within my means.  After being put on hold I was told I was denied yet again!

What should I do at this point?  I have heard stories of people calling five and six times before getting approved, I've even heard stories of people writing letters to the executive office before being approved.  I am willing to do anything at this point as this card would complete my ideal wallet and the $200 cash back offer is perfect for holiday shopping.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks for reading!

i will tell you this, i had a Secured credit card  for 9 months then i applied for CapOne and Discover, Both approved me then i closed the Secured card and applied for a Chase Freedom 3 times and was Declined 3 times even with Recon, Then i had this idea of opening at least a Savings account with Chase NOT because i wanted them but to get on their SWEET side, i deposited $300 into a Savings account with them, i deposited $300 because  that's the minimum you need to have NOT be charged a fee every month, Well, after that i applied for the FREEDOM again and was Approved then 2 WEEKS later i applied for the AMAZON VISA and was Approved too then 2 WEEKS later i applied for the AARP VISA and was Approved too then i CLOSED the Savings account with Chase, i do my normal Banking with BOA Smiley Wink, Obviously my plan WORKED with Chase Smiley Happy , Bottom line is that sometimes it pays to have an Account with the bank you want Credit with and By the way, i have NEVER had my FICO Score as high as yours Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.