Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex Approval Odds/Second card Recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Flex Approval Odds/Second card Recommendations

Hello! While I enjoyed gardening for 6months, I'm ready to dive back in to get my 4th personal, 5th total card. I'm at 3/24 (one falling off in September) and I'm planning on getting the CFF but wanted to get some feedback on if you think I'll get approved as well as if you have any other card recommendations.

Current cards:

- Discover It Student | $1,600 | Aug 2019

- Amex BCE | $6,000 | July 2020
- CFU | $6,300 | Sept 2020

- Amex Amazon Biz | $10,000 | Sept 2020

Scores:

- Experian - 738

- Equifax - 759

- TransUnion - 746

Income: $25,000

I just hit my 6mo since my last hard pull on March 3rd, but my statement closes on the 12, my AAoA will reach 1year (I think I did that math correct, experian says it's 11mo now, so I assume it'll be 1 year next month) and planning on trying to lower my utilization as much as possible, last month it was 1% so planning on leaving like $1 to report on all my cards to keep it as low as possible, should I wait until my statement closes on Friday to see if my scores go up, or will that not really change anything?

I was advised I may get denied for chase due to income, but that I could just move my credit line around from my CFU to the CFF when I call and if that's the reason why. When would I bring that up if I need to? I've never called recon, do I wait until they say something abount available credit to income and then mention that I've been responsibly using my CFU card and that I could shift credit lines?

But do you think I'd be prompted to do that?

~

Also, do you think there's any other cards I should go for? I was thinking about the NFCU MoreRewards, but when Chase brought the 3% dining and drug stores, 5% groceries for the first year, etc etc it doesn't seem that great anymore, like no longer an "I really want this card" as it really only beats it out in gas.

Let me know your thoughts!

I also don't spend enough to justify getting an AF card, so the CSP/CSR/Amex Gold/Plat etc etc are out of question for now.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex Approval Odds/Second card Recommendations

You are not going to get denied for income alone. It might affect CL, but it wouldn't be reason for denial.

There is the whole "won't approve more than whatever percentage of income, but some people have well over 50% of their income, and some cannot get to 10%. 

That's always going to be profile dependent, your use of the card you gave with them right now, payment habbits, etc. 

Of course there is always a possibility they won't extend additional credit, but I don't think you are there yet. 

While you are under 5/24, you've had a busy 2020 (Chase doesn't only consider number of cards opened in the past 24 months, but also the recency of those accounts). 

You have a very young profile, and multiple new accounts on younger profiles may be concerning to some lenders. 

If you really want CFF, I'd wait a little bit longer, maybe till Amex reaches a year. 

If you don't want to wait, apply and see what happens. 

A couple of HPs certainly aren't the end of the world. 

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

You are not going to get denied for income alone. It might affect CL, but it wouldn't be reason for denial.

There is the whole "won't approve more than whatever percentage of income, but some people have well over 50% of their income, and some cannot get to 10%. 

That's always going to be profile dependent, your use of the card you gave with them right now, payment habbits, etc. 

Of course there is always a possibility they won't extend additional credit, but I don't think you are there yet. 

While you are under 5/24, you've had a busy 2020 (Chase doesn't only consider number of cards opened in the past 24 months, but also the recency of those accounts). 

You have a very young profile, and multiple new accounts on younger profiles may be concerning to some lenders. 

If you really want CFF, I'd wait a little bit longer, maybe till Amex reaches a year. 

If you don't want to wait, apply and see what happens. 

A couple of HPs certainly aren't the end of the world. 

Good luck! 

Gotcha, I always was told wait 6mo after getting a chase card to apply again which is why I thought it'd be good now. When I applied for my CFU everyone was like "set a remind for 3 months and 1 day to apply again!" because I thought it was like the 3months for established profiles and 6 months for new ones. I only had 2 cards, is that considered busy, I thought a lot of people tend to get like 3-4 cards in a year, like doing the every 3/6 months.

but thanks! Do you have any other card recommendations, or do you think the CFF should be my next one to get?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

plus the amex amazon biz was a softpull and doesn't report to personal credit, so won't they not even consider that card?

Also, if recent inquiries weren't an issue, are my scores good enough to get approved? 

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Your scores are, but they are just one piece of approval pie. 

The three and six months recommendations are made to avoid shut downs (common enough to excercise caution),  but again, chase doesn't just take into account the frequency of chase applications, it's all new(ish) accounts that are considered. 

Recommendations wise, if you had a need for gas (just as an example), you'd be asking about gas cards. 

Since you haven't mentioned anything regarding your higher spend areas, I'm thinking either you don't really need another card but want one, or you haven't really looked into what your rewards set up is missing. 

If you clarify the purpose (gas, travel, etc), it will be a lot easier to make those recommendations.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted another general spending card to pair with my discover rotating category card, I don't need a specific spending card because I'm good in that sense, espeically with Chase's somewhat new 3% food, drug stores and my 5% first year groceries. My only thought was getting the BOA, Propel or NFCU MoreRewards, but all they would be doing is bumping my gas up from 2% to 3% while if I got the CFF it would be bumping what could be a 1.5% to a 5% so I figured that is my best bet and then I'd more on to more targeted spends, I know there are some amex cards for high dining points, but I don't want a specific hotel/airlines card or an AF card, so yes, I did weigh my options a lot, thank you though. But you are right, I should have specific in an earlier post if I did want a specific card recommendation. I'm working on filling out my 5/24, but wanted to know if there were any better cards I should go for before the CFF

Also, I did just apply and got instant approved for a 2.1k line Smiley Very Happy.

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approval OP - well done 👍 

Locking this thread as per your approval update.  Feel free to start a new thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.