Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex Go/ No-Go

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Flex Go/ No-Go

Trying to decide if I should apply for Chase Freedom Flex.

Current Stats: 

• Credit Scores: TU: 737 | EQ: 732 | EX: 709 
  • Current Credit Cards: 4 [CapOne Platinum ($500), Amex BCE ($1k), Discover it ($2k), PayPal Cashback ($1k)]
  • Utilization: 0%
  • Age of Oldest Account: 1 year 2 months 
  • Average age: 8 months
  • Income: $120 k 
  • Chase Bank Account: No 
  • Other Options: Citi Double Cash, Amex Blue Cash Preferred

Goal: 

• New to credit cards. Want to increase my credit limit to around 15k.
  • Want a good rewards card
  • Want to add variety to my credit card list. Currently Bank with Citi. 

What should my strategy be? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Freedom Flex Go/ No-Go

My suggestion would be to try the pre-qualification portals (as a baseline) for Chase and AmEx.  Ultimately, it'll boil down to the benefits/rewards that would be a good match based on your lifestyle and spend.

Message 2 of 11
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Looks like you are 4/24 with a year of history, scores and income should be decent enough to land an approval. If you want it go for it. I wouldn't expect more than 2-3k though.

with enough usage discover will show you some love. You can ask Amex for a 3x cli (you may only get a portion or none at all) if you're 61+ days from opening and if approved 181 days later you can ask for another 3x cli, Amex has potential to grow quickly...PayPal card is sync backed right? If so ask for 10k every 3 months, worst they can say is no or counter offer the cli and it's a SP.

edit: welcome to the forums!

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 3 of 11
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous  I would try Penfed Power Cash Card or Citi since you bank with them
Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 4 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Off topic but I'll drop a link here if you are interested in doing a product upgrade from that Platinum to a QS for 1.5% cash back. Do not choose the QS1.

Capital One check for upgrade link

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice. That was super helpful. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go for the Chase Freedom Flex since you're at 4/24 right now. I was approved for it after applying with 12 months of credit history. I prioritized it because I was at 4/24 too. I plan to apply for the Double Cash soon. You and I are in the same situation with being new to credit and high salary (did you move here for a tech job as well? haha). Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied. Got a message saying, "We'll let you know of our decision as soon as possible." They did not give a date.

What should I do? How long should I wait before I call them?

Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied. Got a message saying, "We'll let you know of our decision as soon as possible." They did not give a date.

What should I do? How long should I wait before I call them?

You can periodically check the automated application status line to see what it says 1-800-436-7927.  Typically, if you get the 30-days or 2-weeks message then that can be a good sign.  If you get the 7-10 days message then that's the iffy one since it can go both ways.  Hopefully, it'll be an approval for you - fingers crossed 🤞

Message 9 of 11
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Call robo lady and see what she says:

800-436-7927

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.