Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

tag
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

Three years ago I applied for this card to boost my FICO score and was rewarded with a $2,500 credit limit that has not risen since. So I sock drawered the card. I last used this card in March 2020 and paid it off. 

I am going to do an experiment and will start using this card as my main driver for November and December 2020 that will put at least $8,000 spend on this card. Of course, I will be paying this down every two weeks due to the low CL. And since it has new 3x and 2x rewards, I am going to take advantage of this! 

I want to see if this triggers Chase to give me a decent CL. Discover and Citi (Costco) both has hiked my CL's to $37,000 and $38,000 respectively. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited CLI Strategy

Good luck. I hope to read of your success!
Message 2 of 24
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I did this the past few months with my CFU($1,700 limit that had started at $500 and been auto-CLI to $3,400). Made sure to let statement close with 70ish percent utilization and didn't get anywhere when before it would have. I would plan on doing this for 3-4 months and if nothing happens by then it's possible it won't ever happen and you'll have to take an HP to get higher.

Hopefully it works out though!

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CA4Closure wrote:

Three years ago I applied for this card to boost my FICO score and was rewarded with a $2,500 credit limit that has not risen since. So I sock drawered the card. I last used this card in March 2020 and paid it off. 

I am going to do an experiment and will start using this card as my main driver for November and December 2020 that will put at least $8,000 spend on this card. Of course, I will be paying this down every two weeks due to the low CL. And since it has new 3x and 2x rewards, I am going to take advantage of this! 

I want to see if this triggers Chase to give me a decent CL. Discover and Citi (Costco) both has hiked my CL's to $37,000 and $38,000 respectively. 

Good lord, what are your stats for limits like that? 

I have a CSR (opening limit $9000, Sept 2018) and my spending / payment pattern (which goes against what's commonly echoed on this forum) did somewhat resemble cycling. However, the big takeaway was that I never went over my actual limit with all the charges or payments combined for that month. 

I would make several payments per month, just $1000 whenever the balance broke that amount. Some months were $2000 (2 payments), some months were $5000 (5 payments). During the 4th month, I received an auto-CLI to $19k. 

Since that time, the pandemic hit and I received only a small increase after manually initiating the CLI request, to $22.8k. Not sure if it gets better from here. 

Message 4 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I've gotten the auto CLI before by running spend close to the two month maximium.

The balance due + new purchases right up to the limit. I had like $3800 due and $3600 new on a $7400 limit card. Was forced to make an additional payment to keep it from maxing out. This was like my 4th month with Chase and I had PIF every time up to that point.

I don't know if that will still work in the current credit card environment.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CA4Closure wrote:

Good chance that will work. I'd let your card report the high balances, and then make a one-time lump sum payment after it reports, which seems to help. I'm doing something similar with my CFU. I want it to report at least 75% utilization, then make a lump sum PIF next summer. 

Message 6 of 24
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: Discover increased my CL to $45,000! 

I have spent $2,000 on firearm/ammo purchases. Bought a new 40 caliber and 44 magnum firearm with ammo. Paid this off a few days ago when my payment was due. I am refurbishing my garage adding slat wall for my tools, trimmer, edger, chainsaw, etc. and will be putting about $1,500 on this card before December 1st. I previously rennovated my garage this summer ripping everything out from the studs. I used my NFCU credit cards for this project that set me back $10,000. Yes, I added more electrical outlets, drywall, workbench and new cabinets for storage. New lighting plus a flat screen LED TV (my man-cave). New epoxy non-skid floor!

If Chase does not see this increase in spending and does not reciprocate by giving me a decent CL, I will revert back to NFCU Cash Rewards and Go Rewards cards as my daily drivers. 

Message 7 of 24
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

Spooking Chase Freedom Unlimited

This card has a $2,500 CL. I rarely used it until two weeks ago when I received my new replacement TAP card. I started putting $200 on it over the last few days and then decided to make this card one of my drivers. Today I had to go an purchase some slat wall sheets for my garage as I am finishing up a refurbishing project on my garage. This was my last major purchase before my garage makeover is completed. 

I bought a new Milwaukee impact driver kit that included a drill, light and the impact driver with a hard case. I then purchased those slat walls which came to about $800. I then went to my local motorcycle shop to buy a new Shoei helmet at $425. Chase calls me regarding this purchase and I confirm I made the purchases. I asked if they would increase my credit line. Sure, with a hard pull! I said forget it. 

I am doing an experiment to see how Chase does CLI requests. I plan on use this card for the next two months and see if Chace will give me an automatic CLI. Right now they are the lowest of my major credit cards. I am partial to NFCU AMEX Go Rewards because of the perks. Plus NFCU has given me generous CLs!

In a few days I will pay at least $600 to keep my utilization below 1%.

Message 8 of 24
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CA4Closure wrote:

Good lord, what are your stats for limits like that? 

I have a CSR (opening limit $9000, Sept 2018) and my spending / payment pattern (which goes against what's commonly echoed on this forum) did somewhat resemble cycling. However, the big takeaway was that I never went over my actual limit with all the charges or payments combined for that month. 

I would make several payments per month, just $1000 whenever the balance broke that amount. Some months were $2000 (2 payments), some months were $5000 (5 payments). During the 4th month, I received an auto-CLI to $19k. 

Since that time, the pandemic hit and I received only a small increase after manually initiating the CLI request, to $22.8k. Not sure if it gets better from here. 

I got this card with my FICO was about 739 thus you can see the low CL. As my FICO scores increased so did my CLs when I applied for credit cards. NFCU was the first with a $19,000 SL. Then NCFU AMEX at $23,000. Citi Costco gave me an SL of $5,000 three years ago but that has risen to $27,000 today. Discover is my highest at $45,000.

My FICO scores today are low 825 high 857.

Message 9 of 24
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Spooking Chase Freedom Unlimited

Good luck! Chase does like spend, and large spend has triggered CLI. Usually on newer cards. Others go years with no CLI love.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.