Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited Denial Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited Denial Advice

Hi everyone,

On 1/26 I was approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserved.

4 days later on 1/30, Chase sends me a Freedom Unlimited email offer and says to apply by March 9th.  I've never received a Chase offer ever until then, and I've had a Chase credit card for a couple years, and started banking with Chase around September last year.  The timing of the offer was really odd considering I was just approved for another card.

On 2/9, I applied for the Freedom card thinking it would've been too early to apply around when I received the email.

I received the 2 week review notification which I was fine with.  After calling the number to find out the application status, it was changed to 7-10 days, from which I read is more bad than good.

I called the customer service number and the lady told me I was denied due to recently opening an account with them.  I'm still waiting for the letter in the mail.

I didn't want to question or get in a discussion with the lady, so I just told her thank you and left it at that.

I wouldn't have even went for the Freedom card if I didn't receive the email.  Do you think I should've brought up the email offer?  The timing of it was just really weird and I feel like this will mess up my credit score and add an inquiry to something I wouldn't have if I never received it.  I eventually did want the card for the Chase trifecta, but I feel a bit set back by this.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited Denial Advice

Freedom offer was marketing that did not have time to catch up with lending because your apps were so close together

I dont think bringing up the email would help with recon. 

The whole " recently opening an account with them" means they have extended all the credit they are willing to do at this time. 

As far as recon itself, you already took a HP, it does not hurt to try but sometimes that can lead to another HP (or two)

I'd personally wait a few months till the dust settles. 

Message 2 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To add to the above they have a 30 day rule that is now enforced to allow only one card approval every 30 days. Before if you were inclined you could get away with a double approval on one HP but those days are gone now they review apps and deny the second card if you do that today.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I understand now. The timing of the email was so crazy. Literally never received an offer from Chase ever until the one approval. I’ll wait and see what happens around June. Also bad timing since I thought the 2/30 rule was still in effect. Thanks!
Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ah, I understand now. The timing of the email was so crazy. Literally never received an offer from Chase ever until the one approval. I’ll wait and see what happens around June. Thanks!

Hopefully by June you will have a green checkmark and everything will be ok with the world. I'm waiting for one, myself. 

Good luck! 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Sapphire Reserve! Sorry about the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you know this to be true? I and a friend both got approved for 2 cards this month

Message 7 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know this to be true? I and a friend both got approved for 2 cards this month

A lot of datapoints on various forums. If you slipped through consider yourself lucky then.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

These were the reasons they gave me:

Too many requests for credit or opened accounts - I guess the 1/30 is right. Before the CSR, I hadn’t requested for a Chase card in 3 years

Length of time since oldest card was opened is too short - My oldest card is 5 years old so that’s weird

One or more cards have a high balance compared to the credit line - My CSR has a 2K balance out of 12K, I wouldn’t consider that particularly high but...

Average age of accounts reported within 6 months is two short - I believe the age is also 2 years

I’m still going to wait until June to apply again.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.