Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited application

I really don't want another secured card. Perhaps I'll just apply for that Cap1 Platinum card and see where it goes. 

Message 11 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't want another secured card. Perhaps I'll just apply for that Cap1 Platinum card and see where it goes. 

I understand, but the NFCU secured is probably the best secured card out there, and once it graduates to a cashRewards, you can PC it to any other one of their cards later down the road. Also they tend to CLI the secured card at 3 or 4 months.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get it.

Let me share my experience though. Back when I opened my NFCU account I only had about $1100 in total credit lines. Despite having scores in the 500s, I didn't want another secured card because I already had a discover, and my cap1 cards weren't secured, so I applied for a Cash Rewards 15 mins after opening my account. I was approved for $500 instantly and was happy I didn't go the secured route. While on here, I watched person, after person, get their navy secured cards graduated from $500 to $2000 in 6 months. Every single person that posted.  It took 1 year and 4 months for me to get a CLI of $500. At this point, I was kicking myself for not taking the secured card. Took another 6 months to get it to $2000. It's now sitting at $2900 after 2 1/2 years.

I also applied for a cap1 platinum a month before opening the navy card. Approved for $300. Only got 2 CLI to $750, where it still sits today. Neither of my cap1 cards have gotten an increase in a year and a half. The only reason I keep them open is because I'm hoping they'll bring back account combinations, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so they may go on the chopping block soon.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough. I'll give it some thought. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. Interesting take on that! Ok, I'm giving it more thought then. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the CFU card in September, 2020. Fico 685 Avg. I have paid in fullbprior to statement closing, as I do all my cards, except Amex, and learned that they held my payment for 4 days. My Amex is $6k CL with $300-$500 carried. Disco is $1k, pif before statement. Cap1, don't use, CL too low($500). 

I called Chase tonight asking about the delayed payment posting. She said it showed my statement was $19. 

I asked her "Why the delay in credit availability?"  She said because my payment was "higher than others they've received and needs to clear the bank." Fine.

I mentioned that I like the rewards of the card but the CL of $500 is way too low to be of much use to me when my AMEX is $6k and Disco is $1k. "If Chase can't offer a CLI I'm probably going to close it." She made a notation on my account and said they would do another review that would be a soft pull.  

We'll see.  I believe it is a really good card with great rewards. I will report back if anything changes. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.