cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Pre-Qual finally showed me some love!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Pre-Qual finally showed me some love!

Need some advice on to app or not to app, please folks.

I've banked with Chase for a few years and I've never gotten a pre-qual offer when I enter my info.  However, earlier this month I paid off a chunk of my CC debt and opted back in for offers. The pre-qual would say I either didn't have offers or I'd opted out of offers.  I opted back in on the optscreen doohickey site and waited a few days.  It seemed like it took FOREVER for my scores to update (it was like watching paint dry I was so anxious).

Anyhoo, one of my credits cards finally updated after the statement and my scores got very very nice.  I went to Chase to see if anything had changed and boy had it!  The pre-qual offers were for the Freedom, CSP, and Slate.  While I wouldn't mind a travel rewards card, there is no way I'd let myself do the spend it requires for the 50,000 bonus points on the CSP.  Nor would I want the $95 AF.

I'm left with the Freedom and Slate to choose from (if I decide to app and boy is my trigger finger itching to do so).  I think I need another card as I only currently have two.  I could do the bonus spend on the Freedom no problem.  When I look at the terms, the APR shows a solid 14.24%.  The Slate has an APR of 13.24%.  I'd LOVE a card with a lower APR.  Either of these would be the lowest by far.  And who could turn down 15 billing cycles of 0% APR?!

Before I ever got a pre-qual offer, I'd been wanting a cash back card and the Freedom would have been my outright choice up until about 30 minutes ago.  I did a chat with Cap 1 and they upgraded my Platinum to a QS without an inquiry.  At least that's what my friendly chat analyst said.  I'm waiting to see if that's true through all my credit monitoring sites (I'm slightly obsessed).  

My scores as of today are EQ 757, TU 750, EX 775.  Would they tell me to kick rocks for either the Freedom or Slate?  It is also my plan to buy a new car next month, God willing, so I'd also like to know if apping before I seek out financing would hurt more now or after I secure financing.

This forum is FAWSOME! I've learned so much in the 6 months I've been lurking and falling down various rabbit holes reading about everyone's successes.  I really value your opinions.

TIA!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Pre-Qual finally showed me some love!

I was getting CSP, Freedom, and Slate also when I opted for CSP.

They soft-pull TransUnion for those prequalify checkers, and as far as my experience was if you apply via the pre-qual link they HP it as well. My TU was around 770 when I apped and after 6 days of waiting, they approved me for 9k. The only reason it wasn't instant (according to UW) was that they have an old WAMU card that went to collections in 2008 on record, since they bought WAMU's assets when that bank failed.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't want the CSP, then I would go for the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. If you just want to go with one you're pre-qualified for, then go for the Freedom. Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't want the CSP, then I would go for the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. If you just want to go with one you're pre-qualified for, then go for the Freedom. Good luck!

Since the FU didn't pop up, I'm wondering how closely aligned its approval is when getting a pre-qual for the Freedom.  I guess I should peruse the forums and see if there are threads pertaining to that.  I hadn't thought about that.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
Samac
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't get any of them before the car loan. I'd get the car loan and then go nuts.
Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yep, wait until after the car loan. Then, do what you have to do.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.