cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred CLI request

tag

Chase Sapphire Preferred CLI request

How and when would be an appropriate time to request a credit line increase on my Chase SP?  Currently I do not see anywhere on their app to credit a CLI and was just wondering how to best approach them for requesting an increase.  In my experience most credit cards will automatically increase your CL without prompting other than Capital One and Discover; however recently Discover offered me a credit line increase without prompting.

I've read that Chase is hesitant to issue CLI and looks for you to demonstrate that you truly need an increase and that you are utilizing most of your CL issued before they issue you an increase; which I feel is a catch 22 because the golden rule is to keep your utilization below 30% therefore if I'm nearly maximizing the card I heard that may be problematic with them too--so I don't know.

Lastly, I currently own one Chase card which is the SP and at 5/24 until October/November 2022 when two cards drop off and then will have me at 3/24.  Comments and or advice please.  Thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
CloudyWeather1331
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred CLI request

Chase CLI's are hard pulls. You cannot request CLI's from the app. You would need to call in.

-
Message 2 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Just_my_opinion wrote:

How and when would be an appropriate time to request a credit line increase on my Chase SP?  Currently I do not see anywhere on their app to credit a CLI and was just wondering how to best approach them for requesting an increase.  In my experience most credit cards will automatically increase your CL without prompting other than Capital One and Discover; however recently Discover offered me a credit line increase without prompting.

I've read that Chase is hesitant to issue CLI and looks for you to demonstrate that you truly need an increase and that you are utilizing most of your CL issued before they issue you an increase; which I feel is a catch 22 because the golden rule is to keep your utilization below 30% therefore if I'm nearly maximizing the card I heard that may be problematic with them too--so I don't know.

Lastly, I currently own one Chase card which is the SP and at 5/24 until October/November 2022 when two cards drop off and then will have me at 3/24.  Comments and or advice please.  Thanks

Sometimes they will give you an automatic CLI with heavy usage. Other than that, though, it's a hard pull request by telephone.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 17
SDMarik
Established Contributor

You can use a lot of the card and keep the Util low, just pay off the whole balance before the statement cuts and never let it report the usage. Chase will sometimes do the auto CLI, but you are likely going to be looking at a hard pull for a cli. However, there have been a bunch of people on here lately waking up to some pretty large auto cli's from Chase. The 5/24 doesn't apply to limit increases, as far as how long to wait if you want to apply for one, I guess it depends on the rest of your file, how long you have had the card, your history with chase, etc

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 4 of 17
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

There have been some DPs of people getting auto CLI in the first 6 months after having their card. After that timeframe most reports seem to be that you need heavy spend for multiple months in a row. Chase has given me multiple auto CLIs after heavy spend on their cards. Otherwise, customer requested CLIs will be a HP. 

Message 5 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SDMarik wrote:

You can use a lot of the card and keep the Util low, just pay off the whole balance before the statement cuts and never let it report the usage. Chase will sometimes do the auto CLI, but you are likely going to be looking at a hard pull for a cli. However, there have been a bunch of people on here lately waking up to some pretty large auto cli's from Chase. The 5/24 doesn't apply to limit increases, as far as how long to wait if you want to apply for one, I guess it depends on the rest of your file, how long you have had the card, your history with chase, etc

Although it's not often seen, it can apply in some cases based on reported DPs.

Message 6 of 17

Thanks for the information.  I've had the card for almost a year and so far no CLI, and I'm seeking a HP either for the increase, so guess I will play the wait and see game.

Message 7 of 17

Thanks, but not really looking for a HP for a CLI.  I have had the card a little shy of 1 year without an automatic increase being given; however I have notice other CC's noting my CLI on my other cards and trying to match in order to get I assume more spend on their card versus their competitors.

Message 8 of 17

Thanks, but so far no automatic CLI however I have held the card for nearly one year and not really wanting a HP, will do the wait and see approach and see if they in turn offer like my other cards have after noting my spend and payments on their competitors cards.

Message 9 of 17

Thanks for the info, put a HP coupled with a call really puts a bad taste in my mouth seeing that my other cards are competing for my spend and automatically providing me with CLI in order to lure the spend to their cards.  Also, a particular note I have held the card for almost 1 year with clean payment history across the board with all my cc's.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.