Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) Meet Bonus Spend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) Meet Bonus Spend

The CFU gives you 1.5% back. Even with the 1.25x multiplier, that's only 1.875% back. Yes that's an extra $40, but you could still get more. You'd be better off then with a 2% back on everything card like the Double Cash from Citi. 2% in cash sure beats 1.875% in travel.

The boost would give you an extra $40, but a 2% card would get you an extra $50. And you can still get a SUB (yes it'll be smaller but easier to meet) and won't have to pay an annual fee.

I don't mean to keep shooting you down, but I just don't think the CSP is the right card for you. There's many other cards out there that would probably be better for you.
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:
Hey there ALK, I want it because I feel it's a way to get extra rewards as I already have CF and CFU and am bringing up a sizeable amount of points through there. This would effectively increase my points worth by 25% at the minimum. I earned over $150 UT on my CFU alone last year. This would give me another ~$40. The potential with CF and the right category alone increases the value of CSP by so much.

I suppose ...  if you overlook the fact that you made a sub-optimal choice by redeeming UR for cash last year; that alone suggests you aren't really in the financial position to really utilize a CSP card.  I honestly don't see how you could justify acquiring this card but sometimes desire outweighs logic.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:
Hey there ALK, I want it because I feel it's a way to get extra rewards as I already have CF and CFU and am bringing up a sizeable amount of points through there. This would effectively increase my points worth by 25% at the minimum. I earned over $150 UT on my CFU alone last year. This would give me another ~$40. The potential with CF and the right category alone increases the value of CSP by so much.

ALK has a point, the Uber card would be better for those specific categories. 

It comes down to what you think will work for you. If you really want the CSP and you think it is your best option, then go for it. I will say that the Uber would be better for strictly dining and travel but if you are someone that really likes Chase, maxes out the categories on the Freedom each quarter, will use the CSP for travel, and the FU for everything else, then I can see it working for you, as you completed the trifecta (of sorts). It can be even more lucrative if you value primary car rental insurance and the other travel insurances, and plan to upgrade to CSR in the future if budget allows and you travel more. HOWEVER, if you are inefficient with your revolving categories and can't use Chase CCs for spend, then a specific CB card is better. You can even get one with a decent SUB, like WF Propel (3x on travel, 30K point SUB when 3k is spent).

IMO, I dislike Barclay's, but there is no denying that some people get lucrative rewards from them. 

Message 23 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks @alk11
These are great examples of how to meet the SUB.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.