Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Denied

tag
tbann
Valued Member

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Denied

Pulled Experian - Score 764

Declined and called for Recon.  Denied Recon for "lack of experience with high credit lines."

I have a fairly thin file so this application was probably a stretch.

Please be advised if you are applying for this card they want experience with higher credit lines and they place minimal weight on AU accounts.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred - Denied

The CSP has a minimum credit line of $5,000 that you must be approved for.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@tbann wrote:

Declined and called for Recon.  Denied Recon for "lack of experience with high credit lines."

Please be advised if you are applying for this card they want experience with higher credit lines and they place minimal weight on AU accounts.

Once your CR is obtained, Chase's internal algorithm will "ignore" AU accounts. 

While they are useful for artificially inflating average age of credit, you're not responsible for payments, so there really nothing useful for lender there. 

That part is more or less common knowledge. 

If you want CSP,  try again once you have a card with $5000.00 (or close to it) limit, and at least one year of credit history. Keep 5/24 in mind, if you are planning on trying again at a later time. 

Message 3 of 8
tbann
Valued Member

@Remedios wrote:

@tbann wrote:

Once your CR is obtained, Chase's internal algorithm will "ignore" AU accounts. 

While they are useful for artificially inflating average age of credit, you're not responsible for payments, so there really nothing useful for lender there. 

That part is more or less common knowledge. 

If you want CSP,  try again once you have a card with $5000.00 (or close to it) limit, and at least one year of credit history. Keep 5/24 in mind, if you are planning on trying again at a later time. 

That's the plan now.  I just picked up an Amex Hilton Surpass with a $7,800 limit in my name so I should be good for the CSP next year.  I'm probably going to pick up something from NFCU also to build that relationship but I'll keep 5/24 in mind.  My goal is to get solid accounts not a bunch of filler so I didn't plan on applying for many cards anyway.  I just want to diversify a little in case of AA especially in light of the current economic climate.  Thank you for the advice.

Message 4 of 8
MrPepperoni
Regular Contributor

what your profile looked like at the moment of application ? whats the average age and how many accounts? what limits? This is my plan card, want to get it in October.

Moved to the US in August 2018.
Applied for Citi Costco in November 2018 - Denied due to lack of history (no history).
Started building credit in January 2019. Please hover over each card:

Also have Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold (6 months old, $11k limit)
Bilt Credit Card (6 months old, $2k limit)
Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (1 month old, $16k limit)
Two paid off auto loans ($20.5K and $15.7K)

Message 5 of 8
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sorry for your denial

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 8
tbann
Valued Member

@MrPepperoni wrote:

what your profile looked like at the moment of application ? whats the average age and how many accounts? what limits? This is my plan card, want to get it in October.

Score 764

Open

4 Student loans

2 Amex AUs not revolvers

1 Discover IT $1,000

Closed

1 CLOC $500

Average age about 6 years

They're looking for experience with credit limits roughly 5k and up.  As pointed out by Remedios if you have a year or more with those type of limits you should be good to go assuming you have no other issues with your profile.  A quick review of the cards in your signature leads me to believe that you'd have a better shot if you waited until Jan or Fed of 2021 but your existing relationship with Chase might get you in earlier.  Maybe try the Chase prequalifier before you apply to see if you have an offer for the CSP. 

Message 7 of 8
tbann
Valued Member

@Meanmchine wrote:

Sorry for your denial

It's all good.  I knew it was kind of a stretch applying for the CSP with my profile as my file is pretty thin.  In hindsight I probably should have waited but you miss all the shots you don't take.  I should be in good shape for an easy approval next summer since I recently picked up a couple cards with the type of limits they want to see.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.