Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amex Everyday

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amex Everyday

Hello, I am 21 years old and started having credit as a AU around 5 years ago. I didn't get my first credit card(small CU-$500) till 18 months ago and then got an AMEX PRG about a year ago. I would like to get another card to have a real credit limit higher than $500. I have looked at cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Amex Everyday.

TU-734

EQ-768

EX-735

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to apply for and what not to apply for? My first choise is the CSP but since I don't have a 5k limit I feel as if I will be denied which is leading me to the FU or Amex Everyday.

If you could please advise. Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
fiddycal
New Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amex Everyday

I would think Amex would probably give you a nice SL, and since you're already in with them I believe it would only be a soft pull if you're denied. You could also look at the Blue Cash Everyday or Blue Cash Preferred for cash back with them.

Chase actually gave me my first "bigger" limit with the Freedom Unlimited not long after I turned 21. It had a $6K SL.

You might also try the Citi Double Cash, but I think they are a little stingier with starting limits.

The Discover It is another good option if you want rotating categories for cash back. The regular Chase Freedom has that as well.

Really it just depends on what kind of card you want. If those scores are accurate, I don't think think you'll have any trouble getting approved with a decent limit for most cards. Where did you get them from?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I am 21 years old and started having credit as a AU around 5 years ago. I didn't get my first credit card(small CU-$500) till 18 months ago and then got an AMEX PRG about a year ago. I would like to get another card to have a real credit limit higher than $500. I have looked at cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Amex Everyday.

TU-734

EQ-768

EX-735

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to apply for and what not to apply for? My first choise is the CSP but since I don't have a 5k limit I feel as if I will be denied which is leading me to the FU or Amex Everyday.

If you could please advise. Thank you

Because you don't have any high starting lines, I would scrap Sapphire for now. I would go for Freedom or Amex. Either one are going to give you a high SL. I'm thing Freedom would be under 4k and AMEX between 1-2k.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend applying for the Amex Everyday, they'll probably give you a good limit. The F/FU is also a good choice. A CSP approval is highly unlikely, though. Have you checked pre-quals?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I check for pre quals? All of my scores are from credit karma or experian....
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Pre Qual:

Freedom

Freedom Unlimited

Slate

CSP

Amex:

Platinum

BCE

Delta

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get on the fast track:

Go for the CSP.  Get stupid happy at your first $5k SL.

Do the SCT for Comenity Bonton or Boscovs.  Get it to $20k or $30k in a year and go for a CapOne Venture.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't get wrapped up in the sct's. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apped for Chase Freedom Unlimited- Immediate Acceptance for $5000. Wondering if I should of CSP?

Message 9 of 13
fiddycal
New Contributor

Congrats! Don't worry about whether you could've gotten the CSP. You can still get it. Watch on your Chase account for an offer for it. A green check mark beside it means very solid approval chances. A CSP will let you get a better rewards rate from your FU too.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.