cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorer - Is it Still in Limbo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase United Explorer - Is it Still in Limbo?

So this is my first time posting in this forum and first I'd like to say thanks for the great insight across the board. 

So I recently applied for a Chase United Explorer Card - got the 30 day email, and over the phone, the dreaded (told ya I read this forum) 7-10 message.  Called the app status line # with rep option twice now in the last week and both times I got the "your app has been processed but we dont have an answer yet."  Nobody will give any more detail than that.  Is a decline a slam dunk here and they just wont provide that detail over the phone or is someone really still reviewing my app.  My credit scores are on the upswing big time but still only in the mid 6s for tu and ex so even though I recently got a 2.4% Cap One car loan, and a an AMEX, I am assuming its too soon for the explorer card.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase United Explorer - Is it Still in Limbo?

@Anonymous wrote:

So this is my first time posting in this forum and first I'd like to say thanks for the great insight across the board. 

So I recently applied for a Chase United Explorer Card - got the 30 day email, and over the phone, the dreaded (told ya I read this forum) 7-10 message.  Called the app status line # with rep option twice now in the last week and both times I got the "your app has been processed but we dont have an answer yet."  Nobody will give any more detail than that.  Is a decline a slam dunk here and they just wont provide that detail over the phone or is someone really still reviewing my app.  My credit scores are on the upswing big time but still only in the mid 6s for tu and ex so even though I recently got a 2.4% Cap One car loan, and a an AMEX, I am assuming its too soon for the explorer card.

Welcome to the forums.

I wish I could be more positive but at this point it sounds like a decline but you never know with Chase.  At this point I'd keep monitoring the application status line and check for your mail.  If it's a decline you'll get the notice in the mail before the status updates on the phone line.  Even if it's a decline you can still call and ask for a reconsideration.  Without knowing more about your credit profile it's hard to say what the denial reasons could be and your chances for a recon.  

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your scores?  Can you post them?  Also, do you have any Chase card now?  Chase relies heavily on their internal scores when approving a card.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you  for the quick replies.  I would assume the denial reason would be tied to my scores still being too low or even too many inquiries over the last two years(10).  I am actually a Chase bank account holder ( it is a secondary though).  TU is 659 and EX is 640.  Have very high income which helps, and lates in the past but not over the last several years (three at least). Biggest hit to my credit is a satisfied Judgement back in 2012.   I personally don't have a CHASE at the moment but I am an approved user on my wife's Freedom and Slate- one with a 5k and one with a 6.5k. My current utilization is just under 40%  Seems like in the last 4 months I've resurfaced on the major creditor radar and starting to reenter mainstream after using the credit rebuilding cards for what they are intended for.  If I were a decline, I'd encourage the phone rep to just tell me.  I won't be insulted since I "get it."

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you  for the quick replies.  I would assume the denial reason would be tied to my scores still being too low or even too many inquiries over the last two years(10).  I am actually a Chase bank account holder ( it is a secondary though).  TU is 659 and EX is 640.  Have very high income which helps, and lates in the past but not over the last several years (three at least). Biggest hit to my credit is a satisfied Judgement back in 2012.   I personally don't have a CHASE at the moment but I am an approved user on my wife's Freedom and Slate- one with a 5k and one with a 6.5k. My current utilization is just under 40%  Seems like in the last 4 months I've resurfaced on the major creditor radar and starting to reenter mainstream after using the credit rebuilding cards for what they are intended for.  If I were a decline, I'd encourage the phone rep to just tell me.  I won't be insulted since I "get it."

Your scores are on the fair side [don't take it the wrong way].  People have had a high income and Chase still denies them.  How many new cards have you had in the last 2 years?

There is a rumor going on that the 5/24 rule is now applicable to co-branded cards.  If you don't fall into that category then you still have to recon and see if they will approve you.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense taken I totally agree. New cards in the last two years def not 5. I'm assuming I'll be or already am declined and if it is it is. Instead of Reconing I'll stick with what I got and continue watching the score move toward 700 which is my goal. Appreciate the insight.
Message 6 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Well you definitely have a positive mindset on how to move forward after this.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No offense taken I totally agree. New cards in the last two years def not 5. I'm assuming I'll be or already am declined and if it is it is. Instead of Reconing I'll stick with what I got and continue watching the score move toward 700 which is my goal. Appreciate the insight.

If declined, I think you should still recon. It does not hurt to try and always trying convincing them after declined.  Keep us posted on results.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied yesterday and received the same messages as you did, logged in this morning and saw that I was approved. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You logged into your chase account I assume?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.