Frequent Contributor

Chase United Explorer Odds?

I opened up my United app to find this preapproval:

Preapproval.JPG

With this set APR:

apr.JPG

The scores in my sig are current. EX 646 EQ 640 TU 619

Sitting at 4/24

I still have a CO and collection (both paid) on my report that are dragging my scores down, but I've reached the point of my rebuild where the only thing I can do is let time do its thing, as I send out longshot GW letters. 

I've searched and seen a few data points saying these offers are generally pretty solid, but others mention my scores being too low for this card. I told myself I'm gardening until at least April when my Savor One hits 6 months; however, this offer is quite tempting. Anyway, the United Explorer card is one of my goal cards and I'm curious as to how solid the myFICO community thinks this preapproval offer is?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer Odds?

The 40000 point sign up bonus is not especially generous.  IIRC, 50-70k bonuses have been available recently.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

These offers can be fairly reliable, especially with the solid APR.  Just keep in mind it is still subject to credit approval since nothing is guaranteed until you submit the application.  Also, it's not known what SL you might be approved for (minimum SL on this particular card is $2K).  

That said, if you open any other CCs, you'll be at 5/24 and Chase will be long on the horizon.  So, it really depends on whether you want to take the plunge and let this one be your 5/24 slot.

Message 3 of 21
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits you're right. I might want to wait for a larger bonus offer if nothing else. 

@FinStar It's good to hear some reinforcement that these pre-approvals tend to be pretty solid. I'll keep in mind that I'll only know for sure if and when I apply. I do want to fill that last 5/24 slot with a Chase card and this one or the Freedom Flex would be my preferred choices.

Still not sure if I'll pull the trigger just yet. 

Message 4 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@quikj9 wrote:

@NoHardLimits you're right. I might want to wait for a larger bonus offer if nothing else. 

@FinStar It's good to hear some reinforcement that these pre-approvals tend to be pretty solid. I'll keep in mind that I'll only know for sure if and when I apply. I do want to fill that last 5/24 slot with a Chase card and this one or the Freedom Flex would be my preferred choices.

Still not sure if I'll pull the trigger just yet. 

Sure, no problem @quikj9.  

Take as long as you need to decide.  Chase offers some very competitive CCs and I would definitely reserve that slot for whichever Chase card you decide to go for.  Because once that slot is taken, it'll be a while to obtain any additional Chase CCs unless you receive direct pre-approved offers online (e.g. green/black stars w/solid APRs).

Message 5 of 21
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

On the one hand it does have a solid APR which is a good sign for sure but on the other hand your scores no offense are pretty low for that card. I think the lowest I have ever seen anyone get that card was around 680 or so. But hey who am I to dispute a solid APR. No guts no glory. All you can do is try but be prepared to have to call into recon and provide some explanations over your score, credit etc... Best of luck to you op may the chance favor the fortunate or something like that. 

Message 6 of 21
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

@hawkins none taken. I agree with you. My scores are much lower than I figured they'd have to be before Chase even thought about considering me for a pre-approval.  

I was shocked, which is why I decided to make this thread. 

Sitting on my hands for a bit longer until my profile improves and a better bonus comes along isn't the worst thing in the world...provided my curiosity doesn't get the best of me. 

Message 7 of 21
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

The 40000 point sign up bonus is not especially generous.  IIRC, 50-70k bonuses have been available recently.

@quikj9  +1^   this was actually my first thoughts.  

You may be able to hold out and accomplish your garden goal after most consideration on your part.

GL2U!✌

Edited to add:

...and then I continued on to read more post 😒🙄  🙃

Message 8 of 21
Lostinthegame
New Contributor

hmm I would wait only for that fact that 40k is a very low offer. I got it back in December and it was 70k and no annual fee. They are also doing the 5x miles at grocery stores, gas stations and drugstores till March 31st 2021!

Goal cards:
Message 9 of 21
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

So, I went to see about a change in my upcoming flight on the United website and saw this offer:

Explorer.JPG

Scrolling down, there was again a set apr:

apr.JPG

This offer seems significantly better than the 40k offer in the United app. I'm tempted again! My Discover It recently unsecured to $1800, but the $5000 minimum on this card would be a significant jump up and I've read that Chase doesn't like to set the pace as far as limits are concerned. Then again, my DM got a FU approval last year that was triple her then highest limit. 

I'm interested in hearing opinions on this new offer, considering that my scores haven't changed and I've got an upcoming domestic trip where I could use these points. 

Asking the community...would you take a stab at this new offer?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.