Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase application times out

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Chase application times out

I'm trying to apply for the Chase United Explorer card from a referral link, but it keeps hanging up. First I get this spinning for a while:

chase1.png

Then:

chase2.png

I've tried this on Chrome, Edge, and IE with similar results. My credit file is not locked/frozen. I don't get any emails from Chase, and no alerts about new inquiries, so it doesn't appear to be getting very far.

I haven't called Chase yet, but will if nothing else works. Any of you seen this before? Any ideas?

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase application times out

Have you tried clearing your device cookies and history. That page seems to not be making a link. Maybe try another computer.

Message 2 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I hadn't tried clearing cookies because with three different browsers I figured at least one would not have any cookies that would cause issues. Just to see, I did clear on one of them and no change. I also tried another computer on my home network and no difference there.

I finally remoted into one of my customer's computers and applied from there, it did go through, but with a "need more time to consider" message. I also got inquiry alerts this time. I'm a bit surprised about not getting an instant approval since my scores are as high as they've ever been and I'm at AZEO. For the past few years all my apps have been instant approvals, even with scores 50 points lower and carrying balances. 

I am at 4/24, so close to their limit, but still under, and all 4 were over 12 months ago.

Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Message 3 of 17
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

I finally remoted into one of my customer's computers and applied from there

☺☺☺

Message 4 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I called the automated status phone number and got the 7-10 days message. Has Chase really tightened up approvals recently? With scores solidly in the 800s, an existing Chase card relationship going back 25 years without a single late, and 2-3 cards reporting token balances under 1% UTI per card (mostly AFs that I wasn't able to pay before statement date), I really expected an instant approval.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FlaDude wrote:

I called the automated status phone number and got the 7-10 days message. Has Chase really tightened up approvals recently? With scores solidly in the 800s, an existing Chase card relationship going back 25 years without a single late, and 2-3 cards reporting token balances under 1% UTI per card (mostly AFs that I wasn't able to pay before statement date), I really expected an instant approval.

I was recently instantly approved for the Explorer with scores around the 690 range, and I've only been banking with Chase for about 10 years. I would call recon, I'm sure they will work with you.

Message 6 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Call in and be prepared to recon as it could be a denial, or it could just be a verification issue. 

"Why is this guy with a Massachusetts address applying from an IP address we believe is in Idaho?"

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Call in and be prepared to recon as it could be a denial, or it could just be a verification issue. 

"Why is this guy with a Massachusetts address applying from an IP address we believe is in Idaho?"

Certainly if they check IPs that could be an issue since the computer I applied from is about 1000 miles from me. Should I wait for an answer or contact recon before then?

Message 8 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Certainly if they check IPs that could be an issue since the computer I applied from is about 1000 miles from me. Should I wait for an answer or contact recon before then?

I would say that depends on how comfortable you would be in being able to think on your feet if you call in and it turns out that it's a recon although with your profile I don't think you would need to do much if any fast talking. 

I've had trouble before applying when using my work laptop connected via VPN to an endpoint more than 500 miles away so it isn't hard for me to suspect this might just be a simple exercise in verification that it was really you who applied. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I can't imagine that it is anything but a verification issue.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.