Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase denial, too many new cards

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Chase denial, too many new cards

I applied for the AARP card, which is not subject to the 5/24 rule.

Despite my 766 EX FICO8 score I was turned down.

When I called to recon, the rep said it was because I'd opened too many new cards, saying I'd opened 10 new accounts in the past 12 months. He said if I really want a Chase card I should ease up on the applications Smiley Happy

Just passing it along to those of you who, like me, can't resist applying for new cards Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
YoungB718
New Contributor

Re: Chase denial, too many new cards

Appreciate the Info.  Like you, I've got to cool my boots with the apps but it's just so damn addictive.  

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa: $10k|| PenFed Travel AMEX: $5k|| NAVCHEK: $15k|| US Bank Cash+ : $10k|| Citi Thank You Preferred: $9.7k|| Lowes: $35k|| PenFed Promise Visa: $11.5k|| Navy Federal Platinum: $22k|| Navy Federal GoRewards: $25k || PenFed LOC: $5k|| Capital One Venture: $15k || Barclay Reward Visa: $2.7K|| Chase Freedom: $10K|| Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10k|| Chase Freedom Ult'd: $6.8k Boscov’s: $11.5K|| PenFed Thrifty Credit: $500|| Discover IT: $2,800|| Wells Fargo Cash Wise: 8.8k||
Beginning Score:600 / Current Scores: EQ-735, TU-744, EX-744
Goal Score:800 Across

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@YoungB718 wrote:

Appreciate the Info.  Like you, I've got to cool my boots with the apps but it's just so damn addictive.  

It really is Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Come on SJ! Its not like you had 12 cards in 12 monthsSmiley Wink The nerve of this bank.....Smiley Happy ;
Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Come on SJ! Its not like you had 12 cards in 12 monthsSmiley Wink The nerve of this bank.....Smiley Happy ;

Well maybe he counted wrong Smiley Happy It's not like me to let a whole month go by without a new card Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Did the app go pending and then you called recon or did you get a denial in the mail before calling?

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 6 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

Did the app go pending and then you called recon or did you get a denial in the mail before calling?

After getting denial in the mail.

Message 7 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's not under official 5/24 but Chase reps are definitely trained to frown on new accounts (which is understandable). Sorry for the denial. Compared to the general population, most of us have way, way more cards in the past year or two, so denials for this reason are not a surprise.

Probably a good idea to lay low on new accounts for several months and then try again. Although they reference a year, I think the immediately proceeding 6 months are what matter the most. If you garden for that long I'm sure you would be able to be approved.

Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's not under official 5/24 but Chase reps are definitely trained to frown on new accounts (which is understandable). Sorry for the denial. Compared to the general population, most of us have way, way more cards in the past year or two, so denials for this reason are not a surprise.

Probably a good idea to lay low on new accounts for several months and then try again. Although they reference a year, I think the immediately proceeding 6 months are what matter the most. If you garden for that long I'm sure you would be able to be approved.

Agreed, but at this stage of the game, getting a Chase card isn't of great importance to me. (a) I have plenty of cards. (b) Chase's cash back features are nothing I can't get elsewhere, their UR rewards are probably too complicated for my tastes, and their base features, like fees and interest, are basically horrendous, and (c) I'm more interested in credit union cards now, than in getting hooked into a major bank.

But I am trying to garden, just because that will bring my credit scores up, and if I do succeed in going through a period of self restraint, I'll probably take another look at Chase's offerings. 

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Pray that Comenity doesnt release a DC universe Visa siggy credit cardSmiley Wink ......I wonder how far one could fly with Superman and Comenity ?? Lol Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.