cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase dislikes my profile... Advice or others experience with Chase vs other lenders

tag
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Chase dislikes my profile... Advice or others experience with Chase vs other lenders

Well there is something about my profile that Chase and their internal scoring strongly dislike. In my most recent rebuild I have gotten multiple Amex approvals, Discover, credit unions, Cap1, etc with no issues, but Chase will not touch me with a ten foot pole. I have no past relationship with them, never burned them or anything in my past credit life. I do have an account with them where I keep a little money, so my plan is to garden, continue to build my scores and profile and see if I get those elusive green check mark offers either online or in branch. I really wanted to build out the trifecta or at least have the sapphire family, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen any time soon.
I have a thick profile with definitely a checkered past but everything is paid off and my current util is ~7%, all open accounts in good standing, and ficos are approaching 700 now. My CARS score however is almost 100 points lower than my FICOS, go figure.
I got very standard answers on recon call, past C/O (not with Chase), a few inquiries (3-7 across diff bureaus), recent accounts opened. It seems based on that conversation and the information they sent me about the CARS score that they’re about the most conservative lender in my experience anyway.
Any advice is great, I believe I should garden for six months and continue to build and see if I can get any offers. I still definitely want to build with Chase but they are not the be all end all of credit rewards value; I don’t want to give up a ton of valuable rewards from other lenders who are generous with me just to get under 5/24 for Chase.

Start: Low 500’s
Most Recent: 738-745
Over 180K CL Club
Focusing on Delta, Hilton, Amex MR, Alaska miles, Citi TYP, and Chase UR
8 REPLIES 8
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase dislikes my profile... Advice or others experience with Chase vs other lenders

Personally, I would wait as long as you can (6 months to a 1 year atleast) . What C/O's are they bringing up? Are they PIF and PFD? There must be a few things that are irking them and that's why the denial.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase dislikes my profile... Advice or others experience with Chase vs other lenders

Aside from the collection items cited and inquiries, how many accounts have you opened in the past 24 months? They're pretty much giving you sort of a road map on the things that you need to work on to improve those chances.
Message 3 of 9
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies. According to the reports I am 3/24 if store cards are counted or 1/24 if they are not (there’s some debate as to whether they are or not)
I had multiple C/O’s from Amex and Cap1 from 2015, all are paid and both banks have issued me multiple TL’s since then which is why it’s surprising that Chase looks so unfavorably on me when I other companies that I did actually burn have welcomed me back. To make it clear, I’m not complaining; I just wanted to provide data points comparing the different lenders and get some varying thoughts and opinions from others’ experiences. I will wait to apply for anything from Chase for a good long while or until I receive green check mark offers

Over 180K CL Club
Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The "burn" is evaluated differently by each lender. It's all about risk assessment and each FI has their own tolerance threshold.

Generally, Capital One is very forgiving and AmEx has a similar stance with reestablishing a lending relationship so as long as the previous negative items on the books are satisfied.

Plenty of DPs floating around also indicate, aside from other favorable factors, negative marks with previous lenders do not sit well with Chase's UW criteria. It varies by individual and overall profile, though. Some folks have reported some success through reconsideration efforts, but not everyone yields the same outcome.

Eventually, once those items have aged considerably, then it's likely that you could see pre-qualified offers in the future so as long things remain <5/24 for those CCs that have such restrictions.
Message 5 of 9
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Finstar. It seems that any previous derogs with lenders are a big negative with Chase. The analyst did tell me that with some more positives to outweigh the risk factors that they would be able to approve me so my plan with Chase is just to continue to build my profile and age my baddies and either wait a good while to apply again when my scores are a good notch higher or wait for green check mark offers.

Over 180K CL Club
Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Practice NEVER/24 and you'll be fineSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase doesn't seem to like my profile, either. I have no history with them at all. I have no derogs on any reports - totally squeaky clean, but I do have a young profile and probably too many inquiries for their liking. Every time I check their pre-qual page I get, "We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time."
Boo.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burnt Chase in 2009 and they let me back in this past Jan 2018 with a checking/saving bonus and a FU card that had a SUB as well. I went into the branch opened the checking/savings accts and asked for the FU at the same time.

At the time I was 2/24, having app'd PenFed and Disco the day before.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.