Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase sensitivity to Number of cards a person has

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase sensitivity to Number of cards a person has

Hi,

I know Chase has the infamous 5/24 rule and a limit to the number of Chase cards that a user might have.

But is Chase sensitive to the total number of cards a user might have from all issuers.

For example I have several store cards and discover it, amazon, paypal, etc.

The reason for the question is. Can I get several addtional cards from Amex or Captitol one while waiting till my new cards age out enough that the 5/24 rule won't instantly deny me.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase sensitivity to Number of cards a person has

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous 

5/24 is not about how many Chase cards consumers can have, it's about how many revolving accounts were opened in the last two years from all the lenders.

To answer your question,  no you cannot keep adding. In order to qualify, you have to have less than 5 accounts opened in specified time period. 

Installment loans are not counted towards 5/24 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. So just to make sure I understand you correctly.

Chase doesn't care if I have 20 or more credit cards as long as when I apply for a Chase card.

I have no more then 4 in the last 24 months?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 credit cards no matter where or what cards they are.....store brand, bank brand....any credit cards in the last 24 months is what they look for.   

Message 4 of 12
elixerin
Established Contributor

Do AmEx charge cards affect this rule also?

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@elixerin wrote:

Do AmEx charge cards affect this rule also?

Yes, charge or revolving tradelines. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they affect the 5/24 rule....sure do.  Any credit or charge cards will be looked at by Chase

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they don't care the amount of cards per se.....they look at in the past 24 months tonight when you apply....they look from today back to Feb 29 2018.   What did you get in that time period is what they are looking for.  If its more than 5 credit, revolving cards......you will probably get no love.  Is it 100% no?   No.....I'd say at least 90% chance its a no.  Not worth the HP

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Yes they don't care the amount of cards per se...."

I had read something from another poster that stated the same thing. Chase doesn't care about the number of cards you have as long as

you do Not have 5 in the last 24 months. My current situation is that I would need to garden until april 20121 to become eligible for Chase.

It might be a better option to just get a few more base or foundation cards with no anual fee, to build up the number of foundation cards.

I have in mind Bank of america cash back, citi double cash, Amex everday cash and everyday card. 

The theory being that once I had the cards they could be ageing while I wait out the Chase 5/24 rule.

Also, after a new card is over 1 year old it is considered "Not new Credit" at least that is how Capitol one considers "new cedit".

So any New cards would no longer be considered "New credit" when I went after Chase.

Message 9 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Do not get ( apply ) for anymore credit cards if you want a Chase card in 2021. Simple. More you apply and get approved, your chances for any Chase card go down , not up. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.