cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase to ask copy of Driver's License before credit decision?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase to ask copy of Driver's License before credit decision?

I know it was foolish of me but I decided to take a risk last night and apply for the Chase Freedom card. I am still pretty thin with my history (just about 12 months now). It may have been foolish, but I wanted to begin the Chase Trifecta as soon as I can. My last card app was my Amex BCE and that was done on 5 Jan 2018. I still am well below the 5/24 rule, but the response online was "We need further review....30 days..blah blah"  message. Now, I don't have the highest paying of jobs (about $30k expected this year) as I am now back as a near, full time student. Stable job  for over 2 years, paid weekly. CCI is below 15% all the time, and balances are always paid off in full by due dates. Score is not quite 700, but my track record has been good. I faxed them my information along with a cover letter explaining why I have a lack of history.

I reperted 27.5k in income as that was what i filed for on taxes, but I had NO idea i could report other household income, parental/spousal contributions. I hope it does not screw me in the end, but I hope to use the recon line if the worst comes. I think speaking to them may help it, or have them reccommend or help me get my foot in the door with them, in any way possible.

Any reccomendations?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase to ask copy of Driver's License before credit decision?

You are over-thinking this one. A request for Driver's License is just to prove identity before approving your application. You should be good to go after review. Call in and speak to underwriting to ensure they got your fax/email. They should  be able to approve you on the spot.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off the phone with the backdoor number and they confirmed receipt of my information and they put me on hold. The CSR took me off of hold and said "Welcome to the Family!" I am super excited. I am going to stop farming until 2019 now. Credit score should be hitting goals this year!

Message 3 of 9
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! That was easy. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Same thing happened to me this morning when I accepted a preapproved offer from Discover - they brought me up short by asking for proof of residence and Social Security number. I was able to provide a scan of my driver's license for residence proof, but my Social Security card was at home so I was expecting to have to wait until tonight to provide the requested documentation. Fortunately, Discover called me a couple of hours later and when I called back, I was able to verify my ID over the phone and got my approval finalized. It was the first time I'd had to provide such informaton, but that being said, it's an extra measure of security to protect both you and the issuer, simple as that.

Message 5 of 9
WowCool
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations! Another happy story!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I just got off the phone with the backdoor number and they confirmed receipt of my information and they put me on hold. The CSR took me off of hold and said "Welcome to the Family!" I am super excited. I am going to stop farming until 2019 now. Credit score should be hitting goals this year!

Nice and congrats.  Enjoy it.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to go, I was very very excited to get in with chase last year after nearly a decade of periodic denials so I know it feels good!

As you no doubt know for future reference, anything aside from an outright denial from *most* lenders gives reason to hope. As far as household income, once you've got your card and setup online management you can submit updated financial info, and will periodically be asked to do so. I myself would wait 6mo before doing so, don't want to spook them out the gate with vastly different information than you approved with.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.