Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking pre-qualification pages and its effects on future credit and CLIs

tag
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Checking pre-qualification pages and its effects on future credit and CLIs

I was checking the Discovery credit card and CapOne autoloan prequalification pages and noticed the two showed up on my Equifax report
Notably with accurate titles like autoloan Soft, etc.

Considering lenders will put files into review for days to ensure they learn everything about the borrower... Do you think or know if the amount of recent soft inquiries are ever considered when approving a new card or Cli?

Mos of the fico scores have clear categories like "seeking credit" and I feel submitting prequal page forms and then those showing up in reports might have some effect on future credit chances?

The moment I saw thr autoloan label in my report, I worried it might sabotage my planned cli request with cap one as i dont really need the car.. Not with $430ish monthly auto insurance quotes I'm seeing from every major insurer in nyc. Almost double the monthly payment for the actual damned car. Meh.

To add to this, I clicked the cli button after second statement cut for my CapOne QS1 and was denied because the letter says it can be done after 3 statement cuts only. Now the cli request letter shows in my statement documents list.
Or how discover prequal denied me any cards after I checked when I got my new chase and cap one two months prior.

Surely these requests are getting logged and next time i app, their team will see my impatience to seek new credit like that?
Thx, my util has never been over 5% ever.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Checking pre-qualification pages and its effects on future credit and CLIs

Soft inquiries are only visible to you, not to lenders.
Message 2 of 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

As long as it was a SOFT inquiry, lenders won't see it. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 6
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

But they will see my cli or auto loan request on their own systems, e.g. If i get denied twice for cap one cli request, a future cli request to CapOne might get affected by it when they review their own logs? And go "this use been asking for cli quite often"? Or "oh he tried to get an auto loan prequal on our site last month"
What do you think?

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you're over thinking it, individual lenders has their own internal record but credit decisions will ultimately come down to your credit worthiness, if your profile and internal history support a CC approval or a CLI, they're not going to deny you just because you used their prequal site a few weeks prior.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the case of Cap1 when you request a CLI they softpull your credit.  This means you and they see the credit pull, but no one else can see it.  It doesn't change your credit score, it doesn't factor in any way in a financial model or predictive pricing, bankruptcy, spending, or underwriting system.  Cap1 Auto Finance can see a Cap1 Credit Card denial and the other way around - as well as the reasons, but that's as far as it goes. 

The reasons do not go back to the bureau to be shared with others.  It doesn't even work that way when it's a hard pull.  The credit bureaus have nothing to do with the decisions and do not receive that information.  So other creditors have no idea of those decisions.

I know it's hard to believe the bureaus especially given Equifax's irresponsible handling of its data breach, but I assure you that's how it works.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.