Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA Platinum Select Approval odds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA Platinum Select Approval odds

Hello,

I wanted to apply for that citi aadvantage platinum select, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight on my approval odds. I had 7 charged off accounts that are between 5-7 years old (I had a medical issue that caused this). All were settled, and I've only had postive accounts since. I have Amex cards, US Bank cards, wells fargo, etc., but not Citibank, as two of my charge-offs were from Citi and they previously denied me for having negative accounts with them. But, when I applied for the Citi Costco card 2 weeks ago, they denied me solely for not having a high enough score and for having high utilization. However, since then, my score has gone up from 694 to 707 and my utilization has gone down from around 30 percent to 14. Do you think my odds have changed with those extra 13 points and the lower utilization?

Also, is the Citi Aadvantage easier or harder to get than the Citi Costco? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi AA Platinum Select Approval odds

Are these charge offs unpaid??

If so citi has a loonnggg memory .Unfortunately I think you may be denied again even though  they didn't list it as one of the reasons .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The charge-offs were settled, and I don't think they're an issue anymore. It used to automatically decline me for them, but, when I applied for the Citi Costco, it wasn't one of the reasons and, when I spoke to a backdoor analyst, they also didn't mention that. They said the computer denied me for insufficient scoring and high utilization. 

The charge-offs are nearly 7 years old and due to fall off in November, so it doesn't appear as though they matter. Moreover, I checked my pre-approval for the citi-issued home depot card (only pre-approval available right now for Citi), and it preapproves me for the lowest apr. 

I'm just worried that, if they denied me for a 694 score and 30 percent utilization, is a 707 score and 14 percent utilization that much better? Like, what is likely the mininum score cut off where it goes from automatic deny to approval? And, is the CIti Aadvantage Platinum Select easier to get than the Costco card? 

Message 3 of 20
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Ok well that's good .

Sorry not sure what profile citi is really looking for though, hopefully someone will chime in.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 20
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to apply for that citi aadvantage platinum select, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight on my approval odds. I had 7 charged off accounts that are between 5-7 years old (I had a medical issue that caused this). All were settled, and I've only had postive accounts since. I have Amex cards, US Bank cards, wells fargo, etc., but not Citibank, as two of my charge-offs were from Citi and they previously denied me for having negative accounts with them. But, when I applied for the Citi Costco card 2 weeks ago, they denied me solely for not having a high enough score and for having high utilization. However, since then, my score has gone up from 694 to 707 and my utilization has gone down from around 30 percent to 14. Do you think my odds have changed with those extra 13 points and the lower utilization?

Also, is the Citi Aadvantage easier or harder to get than the Citi Costco? 

Thanks. 

With the pre qual tool pulled, I would think your options are limited to another HP. I'd give it at least 30 days between apps as well.

The only thing in my experience with citi is they will deny if you have too many inq's in a 6 month period so I'd watch that too.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have that many inquiries. Just two in the last 6 months, and one is from Citi. I know they're not currently offer pre-approvals on their website, but I don't know if its worth wasting a hard pull if I don't qualify. I'm just curious if there's a significant difference between a score of 694 and 30% utilization and a score of 707 and 14% utlization that would make it more likely for me to get approved. And, if the Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Card is easier to get than the Costco. 

Also, the 707 score is the FICO 8 bankcard score that Citi uses. 

Message 6 of 20
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I honestly think utilization is more important than the score. There's a lot of things the algorithms consider and scores seem to be a smaller part of the pie. If it's a card you can actually use then a 3rd inq wouldn't be the end of the world.. if you want it go for it. I dont know how citi handles apps within 30 days of each other and that's why I recommended to wait 30 days to app again.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 7 of 20
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

Hi mate, last Oct I was approved for Citi AA, Costco, and Best Buy Visa with score in high 600's and less than 3 years from D/C and lots of Inqrs. Good look and hope to hear positive outcome from your app.

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easiest Citi Card

I'm debating between Citi Costco and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - which is easier to get approved for? Fico 707, uti 14%, a few paid charge-offs that are around 6-7 years old, paid off student loans, and multiple paid off car loans and current credit cards. 

Message 9 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Easiest Citi Card

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm debating between Citi Costco and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - which is easier to get approved for? Fico 707, uti 14%, a few paid charge-offs that are around 6-7 years old, paid off student loans, and multiple paid off car loans and current credit cards. 

@Anonymous, I have no solid DP's on this, but I would guess the Citi Costco would be easier.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.