cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds

tag
OrangeRange
Contributor

Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds

Hey all, 

 

I've been getting mailers for the last two years straight to apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard. Offers were always lackluster, but I recently received the 80K for $4K spend in 4 months and $0 AF the first year.Smiley Happy  I'm seriously considering applying as I do plan on going back to Japan finally next year, and would love to use the miles to book a J flight on JAL. Other than that, I don't really fly American domestic as I prefer Delta or SW, but I do fly them usually once a year. If I got the card, I'd ask to PC to the Citi DC after my first year since I don't already have a physical 2% card other than my Apple Card. 

 

I do not have any Citi cards yet, and was wondering what my odds of approval are as I've heard they do not like seeing low utilization and relatively large existing limits on multiple cards?

 

Total Open Accounts: 10 (8 credit [including 2 Amex charge cards], 1 LOC [PayPal Credit], 1 auto loan) 

Total available credit: $63,725 

New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 7/24 

Credit scores: 

EXP - 766 / 8 inquiries (2 falling off by June and at 1/6 until then)

EQ - 761 / 1 inquiry (falling off next month) 

TU - 771/ 2 inquiries (0/12 with these, they fall off later this year) 

 

Utilization: 10% (carrying a balance on 0% intro APR and Apple Card device financing). Besides my Amex charge cards, my other credit cards are all at 0% utilization. 

 

Should I wait till May when I'm at 0/6 for new accounts to apply, or early June once  I go to 0/6 for new inquiries across all my reports? Per the mailer, I have until June 15th to apply. 

 

Thanks!!! 

As of Feb 2024: 2/6 | 5/12 | 7/24
Amex Gold (NPSL), Green (NPSL), Blue Cash Everyday ($10,000), Hilton Honors Surpass ($19,000) | Apple Card ($8,500) |
PayPal Credit ($10,000) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10,300), Freedom Unlimited ($5,000) | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select ($10,900) |
USAA Rewards Amex ($8,600) | Wells Fargo Active Cash ($13,000)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds

You should be golden now imo from the information you gave.  Nothing is guranteed in life or the credit world, but you have most of the check marks checked 

Message 2 of 8
OrangeRange
Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds


@CreditCuriosity wrote:

You should be golden now imo from the information you gave.  Nothing is guranteed in life or the credit world, but you have most of the check marks checked 


Thanks, you were right! I applied and was instantly approved for $6,400. Smiley Happy

As of Feb 2024: 2/6 | 5/12 | 7/24
Amex Gold (NPSL), Green (NPSL), Blue Cash Everyday ($10,000), Hilton Honors Surpass ($19,000) | Apple Card ($8,500) |
PayPal Credit ($10,000) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10,300), Freedom Unlimited ($5,000) | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select ($10,900) |
USAA Rewards Amex ($8,600) | Wells Fargo Active Cash ($13,000)
Message 3 of 8
chdo2023
New Member

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds

I cold app for the Citi AA Platum select Mastercard. I got a 6,300 dollars limit right off the bat so that made it a word elite mastercard but also yesterday apped for the Citi Costco Visa and got denied. Citi is a catch 22. 

Message 4 of 8
Janneman
Established Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds


@OrangeRange wrote:

Hey all, 

 

I've been getting mailers for the last two years straight to apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard. Offers were always lackluster, but I recently received the 80K for $4K spend in 4 months and $0 AF the first year.Smiley Happy  I'm seriously considering applying as I do plan on going back to Japan finally next year, and would love to use the miles to book a J flight on JAL. Other than that, I don't really fly American domestic as I prefer Delta or SW, but I do fly them usually once a year. If I got the card, I'd ask to PC to the Citi DC after my first year since I don't already have a physical 2% card other than my Apple Card. 

 

I do not have any Citi cards yet, and was wondering what my odds of approval are as I've heard they do not like seeing low utilization and relatively large existing limits on multiple cards?

 

Total Open Accounts: 10 (8 credit [including 2 Amex charge cards], 1 LOC [PayPal Credit], 1 auto loan) 

Total available credit: $63,725 

New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 7/24 

Credit scores: 

EXP - 766 / 8 inquiries (2 falling off by June and at 1/6 until then)

EQ - 761 / 1 inquiry (falling off next month) 

TU - 771/ 2 inquiries (0/12 with these, they fall off later this year) 

 

Utilization: 10% (carrying a balance on 0% intro APR and Apple Card device financing). Besides my Amex charge cards, my other credit cards are all at 0% utilization. 

 

Should I wait till May when I'm at 0/6 for new accounts to apply, or early June once  I go to 0/6 for new inquiries across all my reports? Per the mailer, I have until June 15th to apply. 

 

Thanks!!! 


I have received exactly the same mailer about this offer...80k miles after spending $4k in first 90 days...June 15 is the last day to apply...So, I would wait and apply on the last day when I would be 0/6.. However, I do have two Citi cards for the last couples of years...Everything was going great until a year ago when Citi has stopped giving me anymore CLI on both of those cards despite of regular spending/swipes/actions...I have requested CLI many times but not so far in a year...So, I am not sure if I am gonna get approved for this card or not, but if I do get approved then I am also intended to do product change after a year later...don't know to which one but definitely to a no AF card...Right now I have Citi Rewards and Custom Cash cards...

 

Bottom line, we would never know for sure as to how a lender works...Even if we do everything right and everything looks so wonderful and creditworthiness, yet still we could be turned down for a credit. However, what we could do is- do everything possible to increase our odds of getting approval...based on whatever DP we collected so far on lenders we are seeking credit from. You still have until June 15, so why not wait until then to get everything more settled down?? I would....

Message 5 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds


@chdo2023 wrote:

I cold app for the Citi AA Platum select Mastercard. I got a 6,300 dollars limit right off the bat so that made it a word elite mastercard but also yesterday apped for the Citi Costco Visa and got denied. Citi is a catch 22. 


Citi has a rule of you need 8 days(believe that is time frame half awake) between applications among other things so meaning you can't apply for two of their cards on the same day if that is what oyou are saying

Message 6 of 8
OrangeRange
Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds


@Janneman wrote:

@OrangeRange wrote:

Hey all, 

 

I've been getting mailers for the last two years straight to apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard. Offers were always lackluster, but I recently received the 80K for $4K spend in 4 months and $0 AF the first year.Smiley Happy  I'm seriously considering applying as I do plan on going back to Japan finally next year, and would love to use the miles to book a J flight on JAL. Other than that, I don't really fly American domestic as I prefer Delta or SW, but I do fly them usually once a year. If I got the card, I'd ask to PC to the Citi DC after my first year since I don't already have a physical 2% card other than my Apple Card. 

 

I do not have any Citi cards yet, and was wondering what my odds of approval are as I've heard they do not like seeing low utilization and relatively large existing limits on multiple cards?

 

Total Open Accounts: 10 (8 credit [including 2 Amex charge cards], 1 LOC [PayPal Credit], 1 auto loan) 

Total available credit: $63,725 

New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 7/24 

Credit scores: 

EXP - 766 / 8 inquiries (2 falling off by June and at 1/6 until then)

EQ - 761 / 1 inquiry (falling off next month) 

TU - 771/ 2 inquiries (0/12 with these, they fall off later this year) 

 

Utilization: 10% (carrying a balance on 0% intro APR and Apple Card device financing). Besides my Amex charge cards, my other credit cards are all at 0% utilization. 

 

Should I wait till May when I'm at 0/6 for new accounts to apply, or early June once  I go to 0/6 for new inquiries across all my reports? Per the mailer, I have until June 15th to apply. 

 

Thanks!!! 


I have received exactly the same mailer about this offer...80k miles after spending $4k in first 90 days...June 15 is the last day to apply...So, I would wait and apply on the last day when I would be 0/6.. However, I do have two Citi cards for the last couples of years...Everything was going great until a year ago when Citi has stopped giving me anymore CLI on both of those cards despite of regular spending/swipes/actions...I have requested CLI many times but not so far in a year...So, I am not sure if I am gonna get approved for this card or not, but if I do get approved then I am also intended to do product change after a year later...don't know to which one but definitely to a no AF card...Right now I have Citi Rewards and Custom Cash cards...

 

Bottom line, we would never know for sure as to how a lender works...Even if we do everything right and everything looks so wonderful and creditworthiness, yet still we could be turned down for a credit. However, what we could do is- do everything possible to increase our odds of getting approval...based on whatever DP we collected so far on lenders we are seeking credit from. You still have until June 15, so why not wait until then to get everything more settled down?? I would....


 

Very sound advice, I appreciate it! 

 

I was going to wait but I pulled the plug Smiley Embarassed and my application was approved for $6,400. They only pulled Equifax which actually only has 1 inquiry from November 2021 on it for me, so just from that report it appeared as if I was already 0/6. 

As of Feb 2024: 2/6 | 5/12 | 7/24
Amex Gold (NPSL), Green (NPSL), Blue Cash Everyday ($10,000), Hilton Honors Surpass ($19,000) | Apple Card ($8,500) |
PayPal Credit ($10,000) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10,300), Freedom Unlimited ($5,000) | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select ($10,900) |
USAA Rewards Amex ($8,600) | Wells Fargo Active Cash ($13,000)
Message 7 of 8
KH-Underbat
Moderator

Re: Citi AAdvantange Platinum Select Approval Odds

As the OP has indicated confirmed approval, this thread is now locked and closed to additional messages.

Congratulations!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.