Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Bank is awful

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Bank is awful

@Remedios wrote:

I'm not so sure you should have cancelled your application. While expired ID and password typically aren't acceptable, due to pandemic an exception could have been made if they were able to see both documents,along with ss card and proof of residence for both domestic and foreign address. 

Agreed.  I accepted a new job about ten days ago and as fortune would have it, my current passport expired in late 2019, so they had me send images of my Driver's License and Social Security Card (which I had to dig out of a box up in the attic).

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 11 of 15
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

10+ for Fin!

I app right here in the US and have multiple accounts with Citi. Guess what, they still take me through the same interrogation. Smiley LOL

Once complete, the analyst says "congrats" you've been approved for blah blah blah. 

I do tell them while in the conversation, I know @FinStar . That seems to push things along. Smiley Very Happy

Don't let those interrogations detour you. You may actually have been approved. Citi is the only major lender I'm with, that has never denied me a tradeline.

^^^^ THIS!

Every time I want to go further than 100 miles from my house, I have to call them and let them know just to buy gas using my Shell card! .

Every summer, I travel from NC to WI so have to call up and list all the states I might possibly buy gas (NC, VA, WVA, OH, IN, IL, WI) and the dates.  I feel like I'm checking in with Mom

But you know what? I really appreciate this approach when I've received calls from Comenity and Cap1 after someone fraudulently tried to use my credit card!

I'd rather avoid the problem ps than sort them out after the money is gone!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 12 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

10+ for Fin!

I app right here in the US and have multiple accounts with Citi. Guess what, they still take me through the same interrogation. Smiley LOL

Once complete, the analyst says "congrats" you've been approved for blah blah blah. 

I do tell them while in the conversation, I know @FinStar . That seems to push things along. Smiley Very Happy

Don't let those interrogations detour you. You may actually have been approved. Citi is the only major lender I'm with, that has never denied me a tradeline.

^^^^ THIS!

Every time I want to go further than 100 miles from my house, I have to call them and let them know just to buy gas using my Shell card! .

Every summer, I travel from NC to WI so have to call up and list all the states I might possibly buy gas (NC, VA, WVA, OH, IN, IL, WI) and the dates.  I feel like I'm checking in with Mom

But you know what? I really appreciate this approach when I've received calls from Comenity and Cap1 after someone fraudulently tried to use my credit card!

Honestly, I like this better than Chase's approach. Decline transactions at places that are a mile from where I've been working for the last 7 years. I mean, really? Card works fine anywhere within a block of my work, but they decline a few blocks over because it might be fraud?

Then there was the time they posted a blank check for $1000. No name, no signature. When I call in they tell me it's a good thing I caught it within 48 hours or I wouldn't have been able to get my money back. Wat?

Message 13 of 15
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

@FinStar totally agree I'm sure if the OP was the lender he'd be suspicious of all the information someone would be providing just OP. There is WAY too much fraud out there and to start a financial relationship out like that isn't going to go well I"m sure with a lot of lenders. It's just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with whoever you decide to apply with. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 14 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@designated_knitter wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

10+ for Fin!

^^^^ THIS!

Honestly, I like this better than Chase's approach. Decline transactions at places that are a mile from where I've been working for the last 7 years. I mean, really? Card works fine anywhere within a block of my work, but they decline a few blocks over because it might be fraud?

Then there was the time they posted a blank check for $1000. No name, no signature. When I call in they tell me it's a good thing I caught it within 48 hours or I wouldn't have been able to get my money back. Wat?

I rage quit a previous bank because when I was living along the border they kept refusing my transactions (this was debit) because they were all flagged as fraudulent because they took place along the border.    When I walked into MX to have lunch and use my card?  No problem.  Just couldn't access my account on the US side where I lived and worked.

And just to keep it on topic:   Citi was one of my first accounts, and while I really like them and appreciate the anti-fraud measures they go through, it can be irritating.    I apped for Citi 2nd during my rebuild, but they're my 4th card in terms of opening date because it took 2 months for them to verify me and appove my secured card.  Many phone calls and codes later, they opened it.  I was worried that it was an omen of how they handled everything (overall), but after that opening, it's been smooth sailing.

I'm sorry you got so frustrated, OP.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.