Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi CLI questions

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Citi CLI questions

Hey everyone,

I recently tried to get a CLI increase and everytime before I would get language similar to the last increase being less than 6 months ago, but now I'm getting the message that they have extended me the maximum credit they allow without receiving a copy of my credit report. I'm assuming this means that they are going to have to pull my report in order to get a CLI. Does anybody know what bureau they used to pull it? I know my initial application pulled Experian, but I have seen some other issuers pull a bureau different than the application regarding a CLI.

Thanks!

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi CLI questions

For Citi, any SP CLI's require minimum 6 months between each one. If you got an SP CLI under 6 months ago, then I would wait till you hit 181 days, then try for a CLI. If you aren't able to get it, then you can either take the HP for a CLI or hold off until the SP language is available. Did you get the card at a lower score? It may be worth taking the HP if there is a sizable difference in scores from when you got the card and today. 

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

For HP CLIs, they've been known to pull EQ or EX in some cases.
Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

50/50 on Ex or Eq, though a TU could theoretically happenSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543 wrote:

I recently tried to get a CLI increase and everytime before I would get language similar to the last increase being less than 6 months ago, but now I'm getting the message that they have extended me the maximum credit they allow without receiving a copy of my credit report. I'm assuming this means that they are going to have to pull my report in order to get a CLI. Does anybody know what bureau they used to pull it? I know my initial application pulled Experian, but I have seen some other issuers pull a bureau different than the application regarding a CLI.

What was the date of your last CLI on the account?  If it was inside 180 days, simply wait until you've passed 180 days.  The HP language you saw is often seen when it's been too soon since your last CLI. 

Message 5 of 10
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What was the date of your last CLI on the account?  If it was inside 180 days, simply wait until you've passed 180 days.  The HP language you saw is often seen when it's been too soon since your last CLI. 

It's definitely been more than 180 days, I would say I believe it was around last September-October range was when I got the last CLI. I'm not opposed to getting another Hard Pull, the only thing is that my Experian report has like 7 inquiries since August 2017 and I don't want that to be a reason they deny the increase.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I’ve gotten the same language the last 2 times I’ve applied for a CLI and I’m OK with it because I’ll be some kind of mad at myself if I took the HP and got declined because I truly don't need a CLI. My monthly spend is extremely modest.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt9543 wrote:

It's definitely been more than 180 days, I would say I believe it was around last September-October range was when I got the last CLI. I'm not opposed to getting another Hard Pull, the only thing is that my Experian report has like 7 inquiries since August 2017 and I don't want that to be a reason they deny the increase.

Hit up Citi chat and ask them the date of your last CLI.  After they tell you it's been > 180 days, verify with them if you were to request another CLI that it would be a SP not a HP.  That should be the case.  Then go for the SP CLI and if you aren't happy with the result, immediately "request more" which would be the HP. 

Message 8 of 10
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
I’ve gotten the same language the last 2 times I’ve applied for a CLI and I’m OK with it because I’ll be some kind of mad at myself if I took the HP and got declined because I truly don't need a CLI. My monthly spend is extremely modest.

I will be asking Citi for a CLI in a little over a week.   If I get the HP language I will stop right there because like you I truly don't need it I just want it. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MakingProgress wrote:

If I get the HP language I will stop right there because like you I truly don't need it I just want it. 

Think for a second about the likely percentage of CLIs that are "needs" verses "wants" on this forum.  I'd put "needs" at < 1% and "wants" at > 99% to be honest.  Curious what others think.  Even from my very first CLI back when I had $3000 in overall limits it was a "want" not a "need" and every CLI since then has been a "want" as well.  That's just me, but I imagine many others fall into this category as well.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.