Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco - Denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Costco - Denied

I've been shopping at Costco a lot lately, and filling up gas there quite a bit as well, so I figured I'd give a shot at applying for the card to take advantage of the cash back. Unfortunately, rejected. I constantly get those junk mail pre-approved offers in the mail from both Citi and Discover (Discover being the worst about this, counted at least 30 of them alone last month), though I know that's not an actual guaranteed approval anyways. I've had one inquiry the last 6 months which was my CSP in April (which was an instant approval, though none of my cards have been recons anyways). I never carry balances on any of my cards, so I'm not sure what's up. I can't imagine this card is harder to get than a CSP, jeeze.

Going to wait to see what the rejection letter says I guess before trying the EO number. Little bummed honestly. Is the EO thing solid, or will I just be wasting time?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Costco - Denied

did they say it was definitely denied? or did you get the 7-10 day message

Message 2 of 14
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Have you added alot of cards recently? Or have any baddies? Any BK? Something in your profile caused the rejection or possibly a combination of things.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I'd wait for the letter to confirm what the reasons were, if anything.

Also, the EO is no magic wand. They simply create a case and refer it back to the lending team for a secondary, manual review. This will likely result in another HP.

I'd say weigh your options and decide if it's worth it depending on what the letter says.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied, not a 7-10 days message.

Last card I added was my CSP in April, nothing else. What I have is all in my signature.

Only baddie I've ever had was a late payment on one of my old students loans about 5 years ago, nothing else though and nothing since then. I'll see what the reason is and then see if it's worth the hassle to bother calling the EO number.

Message 5 of 14
blindambition
Senior Contributor

The letter will state why. If you do recon, be prepared for HP. Citi usually does one... Some have been hit twice.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update, got the letter. Reason stated was for those baddies 5 years ago. Worth reconning over?

Message 7 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's uncertain whether they'll budge, but you can always try. You can contact the EO to have UW re-review the application, but just be aware that you may incur another HP, if you're ok with that.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

EO number is 605-331-1698, correct? Called it and it said to press 1 to check application status/have it considered, so I'm assuming that's the correct option. Rep I spoke to said the delinquency was a automatic "no" from the system but said to re-apply, or something along those lines. Forgot to ask to manually review. Worth calling back to ask for a manual review this time, or just cut the loss and wait another year or so?

edit: ehhh, I'll just send them a letter I guess instead. Prob not worth wasting my time calling them back.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that it matters at this point, but here's an update. I got a letter back from Citi after mailing to their EO office in Sioux Falls, SD (PO 6000) and it was just the original denial letter with the same reason it was denied. No personal letter or anything responding to my letter I sent them, just that same exact denial letter from the first app. As far as I can tell, they didn't do another hard pull as the last pull on my Experian account is the original pull from October, and CK isn't reporting anything from EQ or TU. Oh well, guess Citi is a bust for me.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.