Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Custom Cash App with no income

tag
jayu223

Citi Custom Cash App with no income

Hello folks,

Hoping to get some input here. It's been a while since I apped and I'm hoping for the Citi Custom Cash for the spending bonus. My Chase Freedom is my main card right now, the rest of the cards are all in the sock drawer. I just want some extra rewards while I'm going about my day to day groc shopping and whatnot. Although my credit scores are fine my main concern is that since I'm currently not working and have no source of income, that that'll be the cause of a rejection. I'm very frugal and living off savings. Do you fine people think they'll be able to give me a pass? Or if I get rejected that I can plead my case? Or just not risk the HP because I have no hope in hell without a satisfactory number on the income line? I appreciate feedback on just whether I may get accepted or not. Thanks!

FICOs

EX 792 [2 HP, 1 in Aug for credit check on apartment app and 1 for Freedom card falling off in April]

EQ 786 [1 HP for Freedom]

TU 793 [0 HP]

Alliant CU PR $5,000

BoA BBR $2,300

BoA CR $5,000

Barclays w.e the Uber card turned into $9,000

CapOne QS $12,000

Chase Freedom $4,500

Discover IT $8,500

Fidelity VS $3,700

Current credit usage: <1% on all cards, I paid down Freedom recently until it reported to EX yesterday with $17.

AAoA: 4.7yrs

AoOA: 8.3yrs

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Custom Cash App with no income

@jayu223 wrote:

Hello folks,

Hoping to get some input here. It's been a while since I apped and I'm hoping for the Citi Custom Cash for the spending bonus. My Chase Freedom is my main card right now, the rest of the cards are all in the sock drawer. I just want some extra rewards while I'm going about my day to day groc shopping and whatnot. Although my credit scores are fine my main concern is that since I'm currently not working and have no source of income, that that'll be the cause of a rejection. I'm very frugal and living off savings. Do you fine people think they'll be able to give me a pass? Or if I get rejected that I can plead my case? Or just not risk the HP because I have no hope in hell without a satisfactory number on the income line? I appreciate feedback on just whether I may get accepted or not. Thanks!

FICOs

EX 792 [2 HP, 1 in Aug for credit check on apartment app and 1 for Freedom card falling off in April]

EQ 786 [1 HP for Freedom]

TU 793 [0 HP]

Alliant CU PR $5,000

BoA BBR $2,300

BoA CR $5,000

Barclays w.e the Uber card turned into $9,000

CapOne QS $12,000

Chase Freedom $4,500

Discover IT $8,500

Fidelity VS $3,700

Current credit usage: <1% on all cards, I paid down Freedom recently until it reported to EX yesterday with $17.

AAoA: 4.7yrs

AoOA: 8.3yrs

Can you clarify for the community regarding the bolded statement?

Were you previously gainfully employed and was there a recent job loss or are you in between jobs? Did you recently enter into retirement? Do you currently depend on someone else's income, aside from savings?

Message 2 of 11
jayu223

Hello, I was previously employed, was let go and am in between jobs. No I'm not dependent on someone else's income.

Message 3 of 11
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

From what you've said, it sounds like you can't truthfully put anything other than "0" for income. That's going to be a denial from most, if not all, lenders. I would wait until you have steady income to apply, otherwise I worry you'd be wasting HPs. 

Message 4 of 11
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Gotta think that anyone applying with $0 income reported will be a denial for not only Citi, but  Any and All  lenders...

Please let us know if you are still going to apply for myfico science.

Message 5 of 11
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Not trying to pry into your personal life but they usually ask for household income.  So, if you live with a significant other, you can place their income and that is perfectly legit.  My wife does not work and the few times she's applied for a card, she puts down my income and we've had no issues.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 11
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I made a mistake once on a cli request and put my income in the non taxable income and zero in the taxable income slot because i am retired and my income is not taxable.

Instant denial.

Then i called them and explained and they gave me a cli.

I think some cc's are touchy about income, probably because they want assurance you have the means to pay them back, steady income

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 11
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Not trying to pry into your personal life but they usually ask for household income.  So, if you live with a significant other, you can place their income and that is perfectly legit.  My wife does not work and the few times she's applied for a card, she puts down my income and we've had no issues.    

I would refine that statement a little bit. It has to be income easily accessible which means a joint account(s). 

Message 8 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP

You've received some great responses and I'll add a few more.

First, you already have some great CCs, great FICO scores, and your UT is very low. Kudos to you!

Second, I agree that you should not waste a HP because 99.99% you will be denied for $0 income.

Third, just continue paying your bills on time and keeping your UT low until you get another job and then apply.

I believe in the long run that you will be happy you waited until you regain employment. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 11
jayu223

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply. Especially those who shared their own experiences. I made the decision to not app for now. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.