Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Premier declined

Applied online for Citi Premier last week due to rumors it's going off the shelf / SUB is reducing. I have a 15k checking+saving account with them and was hoping that existing relation would help. Unfortunately they declined me after a few days quoting short credit history. Called EO to recon twice and was informed it was system rejection as opposed to judgemental rejection, which they could not override.

One rep suggested me to apply again in branch as they will not HP again within 30 days. Is it worth doing so?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Premier declined

OP, what were the specific reasons for being declined?

The EO doesn't really have skin in the game for these decisions since all they do is forward your reconsideration request(s) back to the UW folks for a secondary, manual review. It just depends.

As far as reapplying, if not much will change on your overall profile in 30 days, based on the previously cited reasons, then there would be no point in incurring another HP, unless you want to try your luck again.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The decline was due to short credit history. I am not sure if this is true but EO told me they will not HP again if I reapplied in 30days. Could be a tactic just to hang up on me lol. He also mentioned that if I apply in branch, those people in the branch will be able to cite existing checking/saving balance as a bonus point, which I am not so convinced as well although there were indeed positive DPs for Chase.

Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Having an existing depository relationship with Citi does not necessarily sway the boat, unfortunately. That's unless you already have other loan products besides the deposit (e.g. CitiGold) or investments side.

There's no guarantee that you won't be HP'd again even if the application is submitted through the branch. Also worth noting that since the application was not approved due to a relatively short history, an extra month really won't make much of a difference. You're welcome to try, though.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the input. No doubt the credit history will not change much. The only way I would consider to resubmit it thru branch is the no-HP-in-30-days policy that the CSR mentioned. I wonder if I could dispute the HP if they did HP again lol. I've seen that function in experian account but never got a chance to try it.

Message 5 of 11
bondsandloan
Regular Contributor

What are your stats? And current trade lines?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noticed that you are a grade student as well. I do not have a checking account with Citi but held onto the costco card since it was transitioned as well as opening up an AA biz card back in June.  Aside from the checking, do you have any other relations with Citi?  What is you AAOA, mine is 3 years, 6 months. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AAoA is 8 months. I think you stand a much better chance than me since I'm new to this country. I also don't have any other relationship with citi aside from the checking/savings product. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico 700, AAoA 8 months=(12+12+1)/3. Spend quite a lot annually on travel since it's university subsidized. Balance 20%-30%.

I've heard people saying that you can try Citi after one year's credit history. Looks like either I am unlucky or they were talking about some lower-spectrum products.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, a 700 is decent enough from what I have observed from others getting the premier.  The only thing that you would miss out on if you apply at the later date is the extra 10k points vs now with the same spending.  What i recommend you do honestly is hunt the Chase cards first due to 5/24 before pursuing Citi cards.  Go for the CFU or FU card since they can help you gain more steps in Chase. 

Don't push AMEX unless you have the 100K platinum offer on cardmatch available.  Once you are with AMEX, you will never be targeted for the 100k offer from what i have heard. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.