cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Denial

tag
BigLawGal

Citi Prestige Denial

Hi All. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I applied tonight for the Citi Prestige inticed by the 75k points bonus. I was denied Smiley Sad My scores range from 743-757. My utilization is 7% and I have had 2 inquiries this year. I have no Citi cards, but a few other premium cards. Income is 160k+ My newest card is 5 mos old. I tried calling to see why I was denied, but the agent stated I needed to wait for the official letter or call tommrrow. I really want this card as I have a wedding in Vegas planned next week and it'd be nice to have that 4th night free. Essentially, what can I do? Has anyone had luck with asking for reconsideration? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige Denial

I just have a Citi DC card not yours. I thought I recall reading that Citi approvals come as the spirt moves them and not based on anything else.

Message 2 of 12
BigLawGal

Update: it looks like the issue is too many inquiries on my TU report. There have been 2 inquiries in the past 8 months. Oh well...maybe next time. I didn't know Citi was that much of a stickler re: inquiries. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigLawGal wrote:

Update: it looks like the issue is too many inquiries on my TU report. There have been 2 inquiries in the past 8 months. Oh well...maybe next time. I didn't know Citi was that much of a stickler re: inquiries. 

I find it very hard to believe that your  2 inquiries have much to do about  you getting declined. .  

Message 4 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@BigLawGal wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that your  2 inquiries have much to do about  you getting declined. .  

very strange reason indeed as got 3 citi cards in the last 7 - 8 months with umm say 8+ inquires in the last year and more likely last 6 months.  Citi is a weird one sometimes.  I have umm a ton of new accounts in the last year or two as well when I mean a ton I mean a ton like 20+

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

2 inqs , thats blowing smoke in the wind. Only Citi would turn down a good profile with 160k income SMH, i would look elsewhere.
Message 6 of 12
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@BigLawGal wrote:

Hi All. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I applied tonight for the Citi Prestige inticed by the 75k points bonus. I was denied Smiley Sad My scores range from 743-757. My utilization is 7% and I have had 2 inquiries this year. I have no Citi cards, but a few other premium cards. Income is 160k+ My newest card is 5 mos old. I tried calling to see why I was denied, but the agent stated I needed to wait for the official letter or call tommrrow. I really want this card as I have a wedding in Vegas planned next week and it'd be nice to have that 4th night free. Essentially, what can I do? Has anyone had luck with asking for reconsideration? 

Unfortunately, from my own experience, and reading lots of similar posts, "Too many inquiries" seems to be a generic reason that's given when the creditor doesn't want to give you the real reason they're declining the app. (Especially if there are no egregious derogs like chargeoffs, BK, etc) I had the same experience a few months ago with only 2 or 3 EQ inquiries. I pushed Citi on a couple recon calls, but they wouldn't do anything besides read from a script. HOWEVER...

Around the same time, I applied for and was declined the Merrill+ card, and BofA gave me the same "Too many inquiries" reason. I called their recon, and they actually gave me the real reason I was declined. I had opened a 3 or 4 new cards in the previous year, including a BofA business card, and they really just wanted to see more history with those card before giving me another one. That was SO much more helpful than the boilerplate, and I thanked her repeatedly for giving me some direction that would actually help me be a better credit consumer.

You said your newest card is 5 months old - how about other new cards? What's your AAoA? Any negative experience with Citi ever?

I'm sorry they weren't more transparent, but that seems to be a pretty standard response unfortunately :\

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 7 of 12
gravytrain912
Established Member

where you prequalified???

Message 8 of 12
BigLawGal

Thanks everyone for the responses.

To my knowledge, I was not pre-qualified. I wasn't able to exactly check and if something came via ail it would've been a previous address. When I tried the citi pre-approval website nothing generated. I received a message along the lines of "lack of history unable to match" I have no history with cit so I assu,ed that was the issue. This was my first time ever applying for anything with them and I have no accounts. AAoA Is 3.5 years. I'm only 26 and didn't get my first CC  until I graduated college. No adverse action ever. The last card I opened was a J Crew card. I'm looking forward to the rejection letter, which will hopefully provide more insight 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyryan wrote:

@BigLawGal wrote:

Unfortunately, from my own experience, and reading lots of similar posts, "Too many inquiries" seems to be a generic reason that's given when the creditor doesn't want to give you the real reason they're declining the app. (Especially if there are no egregious derogs like chargeoffs, BK, etc) I had the same experience a few months ago with only 2 or 3 EQ inquiries. I pushed Citi on a couple recon calls, but they wouldn't do anything besides read from a script. HOWEVER...

Around the same time, I applied for and was declined the Merrill+ card, and BofA gave me the same "Too many inquiries" reason. I called their recon, and they actually gave me the real reason I was declined. I had opened a 3 or 4 new cards in the previous year, including a BofA business card, and they really just wanted to see more history with those card before giving me another one. That was SO much more helpful than the boilerplate, and I thanked her repeatedly for giving me some direction that would actually help me be a better credit consumer.

You said your newest card is 5 months old - how about other new cards? What's your AAoA? Any negative experience with Citi ever?

I'm sorry they weren't more transparent, but that seems to be a pretty standard response unfortunately :\

Absolutely correct.  Almost never will a creditor deny you solely because of inquiries.  They may give that reason but there is something else that they don't like that led to the denial.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.