Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Prestige Denial

I applied for the Citi Prestige card a couple weeks back and received an instant denial online. I read that many people online had received instant denials online due to a bug on the Citi application site.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I received my denial letter in the mail stating they pulled Equifax and the reason was something along the lines of "Not enough satisfactory accounts"

I tried pulling my credit report, but Equifax has since then beefed up their requirements for getting a credit report, you can only get it by mail and are required to send in A LOT of information, which I am uncomfortable doing given the recent news. I was able to pull my TU report and found that all my accounts are in good standing and have had only one hard CP in the last two years to open another bank account.

A week later, I went to a Citi branch and spoke to a banker and let her know of the denial.

I have an extensive banking relationship with Citi including two credit cards opened about 7+ years and 3+ years ago, Citi Priority Checking (previously Citi Gold), and Citi Savings. My Citi credit score is 800+. The ONLY issue I have, are my credit limits are very low on both these cards. I specifically kept them low for personal reasons and never had them raised. Together their limit under $4,000. My income is $100K+

The banker agreed that I should not have been denied and the reason for my denial was a blanket reason that is often given. She suggested that I try applying with her at the brank which I did. I ran into an odd issue where my phone number and address could not be verified during the process (even though I recieved a real time text straight from CIti to my phone while with the banker) and as a result, my application required further processing. I was to expect mail or a phone call to verify some information.

Fast forward another week and I have received nothing, so I call the banker who refers me to call a Citi number. I call the number and after 10 minutes on the phone and a lot of verification on my part, I was told my application was denied.

I called a recon number I found on this forum the next day and was given the same reason for the denial for the first application. She told me that she could not help overturn the denial until I recieve the credit report and overturn any negative issues with it. She also would not tell me which agency was used to pull the credit report.

Given this is my 2nd application with Citi in a short period of time, I believe I cannot apply for anymore credit cards with them. What are my options here? Calling the EO? Do I need to have my credit report before calling the EO (I'm skeptical of getting my CR from Equifax)?

Currently I am waiting on the denial letter, but I expect it to say the same thing as last time

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige Denial

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Citi Prestige card a couple weeks back and received an instant denial online. I read that many people online had received instant denials online due to a bug on the Citi application site.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I received my denial letter in the mail stating they pulled Equifax and the reason was something along the lines of "Not enough satisfactory accounts"

I tried pulling my credit report, but Equifax has since then beefed up their requirements for getting a credit report, you can only get it by mail and are required to send in A LOT of information, which I am uncomfortable doing given the recent news. I was able to pull my TU report and found that all my accounts are in good standing and have had only one hard CP in the last two years to open another bank account.

A week later, I went to a Citi branch and spoke to a banker and let her know of the denial.

I have an extensive banking relationship with Citi including two credit cards opened about 7+ years and 3+ years ago, Citi Priority Checking (previously Citi Gold), and Citi Savings. My Citi credit score is 800+. The ONLY issue I have, are my credit limits are very low on both these cards. I specifically kept them low for personal reasons and never had them raised. Together their limit under $4,000. My income is $100K+

The banker agreed that I should not have been denied and the reason for my denial was a blanket reason that is often given. She suggested that I try applying with her at the brank which I did. I ran into an odd issue where my phone number and address could not be verified during the process (even though I recieved a real time text straight from CIti to my phone while with the banker) and as a result, my application required further processing. I was to expect mail or a phone call to verify some information.

Fast forward another week and I have received nothing, so I call the banker who refers me to call a Citi number. I call the number and after 10 minutes on the phone and a lot of verification on my part, I was told my application was denied.

I called a recon number I found on this forum the next day and was given the same reason for the denial for the first application. She told me that she could not help overturn the denial until I recieve the credit report and overturn any negative issues with it. She also would not tell me which agency was used to pull the credit report.

Given this is my 2nd application with Citi in a short period of time, I believe I cannot apply for anymore credit cards with them. What are my options here? Calling the EO? Do I need to have my credit report before calling the EO (I'm skeptical of getting my CR from Equifax)?

Currently I am waiting on the denial letter, but I expect it to say the same thing as last time

Sign up at Credit Karma and you will get your TU & EQ reports for free. You can view your Equifax credit report there.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing! I had always felt that CreditKarma required a subscription or some cost.

I was able to view my score and report. My credit scores are as follows:

EQ: 758 

TU: 774

The only negative thing on my report are 3 hard pulls recently, 2 of them being for the Prestige card I just applied for. All of my accounts are in good standing with an average credit history of 5 years and 7 months with Citi

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazing! I had always felt that CreditKarma required a subscription or some cost.

I was able to view my score and report. My credit scores are as follows:

EQ: 758 

TU: 774

The only negative thing on my report are 3 hard pulls recently, 2 of them being for the Prestige card I just applied for. All of my accounts are in good standing with an average credit history of 5 years and 7 months with Citi

Those scores are not FICO scores. They are Vantage 3 scores. Search the forum regarding Vantage Scores and get educated.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have sent documentation to Equifax many times never had an issue recently had to dispute an address that I never lived at sure was a pain but by mail is probably the only real way to fix anything on your credit report with them. The only info was requested photo ID, Utility bill every year I request a free copy of my report with them never needed to provide any other docs. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.