Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Instantly Denied FICO 742

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Prestige Instantly Denied FICO 742

Hi all,

I just want to share my data point with you. 

Today I have applied online for the "Citi Prestige" card and I was instantly declined.

This is my credit situation:

FICO8: 742

oldest account: 2years 1month

average age of accounts: 1 year 6 months

number of credit card accounts: 3 (#1 2y1m, 6.5K, #2 1y6m 24K, #3 10m 7.5K)

total utilization: 2.27% (1K of 44K)

number of hard pulls: 1 (18 months old)

income: 80k

Never been a citi customer before.

No other negative (or positive) info on my credit report.

The denial stated that in 7-10 days I will receive a letter with the reason for the denial. On the same day I called the automated line for application status (888-201-4523) that told me that the reason for my denial is "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit report."

I tried to have my denial reconsidered by calling 605-331-1698, which is a number that redirects to 800-695-5171. A customer service representative asked for my application number (which is not given during the denial), then for my full SSN. She told me that I will receive the reason for my denial in 7-10 days and that there is nothing she can do to before that. I insisted to know more details for the reason and she told me to wait. I asked if there was anything I could do like getting a small credit line to start or the Citi Premier card instead, or anything else. Nothing can work to overturn such decision.

Then I have read other threads here and on other forums and found out that the automated number for the application status (301-733-5501 and 888-201-4523) if you press 0 multiple times, you can speak with a representative, so I tried again.

The talk with the representative went similar to the previous call. This time she was recommending me to apply for a secured card. Following advice I have found on this forum, I explained to her that I already had cards with relatively high limits, but I would like to move such expenses to a card that works better when I travel, and using a secured card would not have been very efficient. I have also explained that I don't like to open "many cards" to have the "satisfactory references" if I don't need them. Three was enough. She understood and put me on hold, then transferred me to a "credit analyst". Once transferred the conversation with the credit analyst started from the beginning. I had to re-explain everything, why I only have three accounts, why I need the Citi Prestige, etc. She let me talk and when I was done, she told me she see what she can do. I was put on hold a couple of minutes. When she came back she told me that the decision cannot be overturn because I have too few accounts and the system does not let her override that. At the end she recommended me to wait for the denial letter and call the number on the letter to talk with an "Experian representative". After hearing I thanked her for her time and politely ended the conversation.

Probably I have to practive better my "recon talk", but I think she probably tried to approve me, but her "level" was not high enough or maybe my problem is more serious than I think. Does anyone have experience on this or am I just wasting my time since my credit file is simply too thin for the Citi Prestige?

Unfortunately I cannot find recent data points for the Citi Prestige, otherwise I would not have wasted a hard pull. Citi website prequalifies me for the Citi Premier though.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige Instantly Denied FICO 742

Seems a bit bogus to me.  3 open accounts on your CR should have been sufficient IMO.  I'd like to hear if anyone else with 3 or less accounts has been denied for a Citi product for their file seemingly being too thin.

Message 2 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried recon with Citi and got absolutely nowhere with them when trying to bump my CL with them.  I made several calls and they're useless.  It's like talking to rocks and you get passed around like the hot potato and they don't brief the next person that picks up on the line.  I have a feeling they want to see at least 5 accounts or longer history of payments from you.  Doesn't make sense but, they're a PITA to deal with from opening to CLI's.  

If you have seen the citi glitch threads where people were able to hit the SP CLI 10 times to get up to 60K and the rest of us that couldn't time that glitch are stuck getting piddly 2K increase out of them when you know the max exposure should be significantly higher.

Either get the # of accounts or wait out the history to get in the door.

or

Go with someone else that will appreciate your business like Chase or Amex

Message 3 of 48
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and welcome

IMHO, I think it’s the AAOA and AOYA that may have caused the denial. You dont give names of the lenders you have cards with, so if you dont have Discover or AmX, try their prequal page because they like thin files. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 48
slither43
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear this. Strange because I was approved for a Citi DC as my second card....my first only being 8 nonths old at the time. This seems like an odd denial

Message 5 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply,

My three accounts are Discover (6.5K, 2.1YO), Amex (22K, 1.5YO), Barclay (7.5K, 10m).

I was also surprised by the denial and the fact that the 2nd tier "credit analyst" that re-reviewed my application was "unable" to change the decision. Are Discover and Amex typically considered "less satisfactory" than other issuers?

On the Citi website I was prequalified for all the ThankYou cards except for the one I applied (Prestige). The customer service also mentioned something about the Prestige being "different". Older data points show some denials for the Prestige, but usually for credit histories less than 2 years, too many inquiries, or negative factors in the credit report. That's why I am a bit puzzled.

In the meantime Amex is constantly preapproving me for the Platinum and the Gold, but they don't fit my needs at all compared to the Prestige.

Message 6 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Seeing as its one of their " Premium" credit cards with high AF, it seems like a card they prefer for clientes with thicker profiles. Not saying thats good but Citi can be just as picky as Chase . If you dont want more accounts , garden anorher year before reapplying. You slso might try picking up a different Citi card to establish history with them .
Message 7 of 48
ZxMarsxZ
Established Member

I had the same experience with Citi. Applied for the AAdvantage card when I had 4 accounts (one is AU) and they denied me basically saying thin file. I called recon multiple times with no success. Turned to Barclays AA biz card, took a little convincing but I was able to get in. Maybe you should just go with a different bank for now.

EX 810, TU 792, EQ 768
EX 11, TU 6, EQ 7

BoA Cash Rewards 12/13
Chase Freedom 05/19
Barclays AA biz 05/19
Chase Ink Preferred 06/19
Citi AA biz 08/19
Auto loan 06/18
Student loan 08/18 (paid off)
3 AU cards 5-year average
Message 8 of 48
jbestman007
Contributor

Honestly, I am not surprised you were denied. While I am new to credit, I have read enough to know that your file is too thin to qualify for their flagship card. The key word here is "flagship".  You don't have a long enough established credit history. Also, you don't have a prior relationship with them that they could fall back on. And, two years is within the conceivable time a good fraudster could build up credit, waiting to get a flagship card for a big payday. Trust me, the credit companies have seen it all. 

So, no, I am not surprised you were denied. I am just surprised that lady even tried to overturn it. The system blocked her attempt for a reason. Your fastest way to that card would be to get one of their lower tiered cards to establish a relationship with them. From that they can now see how you pay, where you pay from and how your spending habits compute. These are important data points needed to rule you out as a risk. 

I believe your score had very little to do with it. There are people here with lower scores that would get that card simply because they have a 10yr+ mortgage on their history. This shows stability, something your file is lacking right now, unfortunately. 

But take everything I wrote with a grain of salt. I may be completely off. 

Message 9 of 48
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

My three accounts are Discover (6.5K, 2.1YO), Amex (22K, 1.5YO), Barclay (7.5K, 10m).

I was also surprised by the denial and the fact that the 2nd tier "credit analyst" that re-reviewed my application was "unable" to change the decision. Are Discover and Amex typically considered "less satisfactory" than other issuers?

On the Citi website I was prequalified for all the ThankYou cards except for the one I applied (Prestige). The customer service also mentioned something about the Prestige being "different". Older data points show some denials for the Prestige, but usually for credit histories less than 2 years, too many inquiries, or negative factors in the credit report. That's why I am a bit puzzled.

In the meantime Amex is constantly preapproving me for the Platinum and the Gold, but they don't fit my needs at all compared to the Prestige.

BINGO! Your AAOA is less than 2 years.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.