Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Instantly Denied FICO 742

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige Instantly Denied FICO 742

@Anonymous wrote:

On the Citi website I was prequalified for all the ThankYou cards except for the one I applied (Prestige).

Have you checked to see if you are still qualified for the "Thankyou Cards" or did you ask if that's still a possibility?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 21 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
From other posts I've seen on here it seems like Citi recon is pretty much useles...has anyone had luck with them?

It really depends on the reason(s) for the decline and the specific parameters that may allow flexibility for overturning the original decision.  In the vast majority of cases (atlleast these days), the decline is hard-coded, so even reaching out to the EO may not yield fruitful results.  In some cases it's worth a try, however, once a secondary review is performed and if the outcome remains the same, the decision becomes final.

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have checked again the citi prequalified page (one day after my Prestige denial). It still lists "Premier", "Rewards+", and "Doublecash" as prequalified cards. And I like the "Premier" more than the Sapphire Preferred.

Does it mean that trying again with citi (8 days after my Prestige attempt, of course) for the "Premier" may be worth another HP with more reasonable chances of success? I am a bit afraid there could be some other non-disclosable reasons behind my Prestige denial. The recon customer service was unable to repurpose my application to the Premier, nor able tell me my chances for the Premier. Besides the one recommending the "secure card", I just have to "try", get another HP, and hope for the best. On the state where I live there are no physical citi branches unfortunately.

Message 23 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar,

Do you know if the secondary review is the same thing that the analyst has done on the spot during my second recon call. She did not actually tell me I was approved, she patiently listened to all my explanations for why I only have three credit cards and why the Prestige would be the best card to put my expenses on (instead of the high limit amex I have). After that she put me on hold 2 minutes, and then told me that the system did not allow to overturn my denial because... "I don't have enough satisfactory accounts" (basically repeating the same thing that lower level CSR have already said). She also apologied for the "generic and vague reason" and told me that she cannot see a more specific one and that I will get more details on my letter.

From other people here, I already know that the letter is likely to contain only that reason and helpless text stating to contact Experian in case my credit report contains inaccurate information.

Message 24 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, if you reached out to the EO (and depending on who you spoke with), all they do is take down the information and pass it along and/or consult with the UW department. Unfortunately, that department is pretty much walled-off to the customer.

Then, depending on the outcome of that review is what becomes the final decision. In a variety of cases, even the UW department is unable to override a hard-coded denial.
Message 25 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your denial. I was recently approved for the Prestige although I was not prequalified, I was prequalified for the Premier instead as well. My EXP score was about the same as yours, 2 HP but both are almost two years old, 100k+ income, AAoA 2Y 3M. I have a checking account with them. It looks like your 3 accounts and relatively young credit age denied you of the approval. 

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

On this thread from three months ago: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Citi-Premier-757-Score-Rejected/m-p/551599...

A person with better credit history than mine was denied the Citi Premier for "too few satisfactory accounts" also. The person was paid for all the cards before the statement posted, keeping very low balances. I actually did something similar, but only for the last month. I lowered my utilization from 26% to 3% intentionally before applying. Hope this did not contribute to the denial.

I was wondering if even applying for the Premier may also be another wasted HP. Does anyone know if the prequalification of citi is reliable in case I try again with the Premier?

Message 27 of 48
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

If the other cards are showing as pre qualified that might be worth a shot.

I got the Premier last month with 1y8m oldest account and average account age at 14months.

I do have a checking with citi and they had a secured card with them before.

Also I don't agree with those saying you should have applied only for the cards you were shown. I wasn't shown the premier and I got in. Sometimes I believe it's better to jump a level higher than what your shown as qualified for. Smiley Happy

I think the long gap since your last account might be factor that spooked them. I saw another thread where they had issues getting a card since they didn't get a new card for a long while and they recon people asked about that. I'll Stick to getting a new card at lest once a year to avoid that 😂

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Typically, if you reached out to the EO (and depending on who you spoke with), all they do is take down the information and pass it along and/or consult with the UW department. Unfortunately, that department is pretty much walled-off to the customer.

Then, depending on the outcome of that review is what becomes the final decision. In a variety of cases, even the UW department is unable to override a hard-coded denial.

Ha, that's probably because they don't want to have to deal with constant phone calls from people who are denied...

Message 29 of 48
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

I have to ask OP, if you were prequalified for all the other ThankYou cards why wouldn’t you have went for any one of those? Sorry to sound a bit abrasive but I’m failing to understand why you would go for a card you weren’t prequalified for especially since the ThankYou Premier is a good travel card by itself.
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.