cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi permanent blacklist after completing debt management program?

tag
syeb
Regular Contributor

Citi permanent blacklist after completing debt management program?

Short history: 2008-2009 were not good years financially and I took >50% pay cut.. Mortgage, utilities, etc. were paid in cash but everything else went on CCs.

So I entered into a debt management program in 2010 - Only negotiated reduced interest rates from 2%-10%.  Did not reduce any balances whatsoever. I never missed a payment and fully paid the remaining balances in December, about 7 months early.

My FICOs went from 675 to the 750's almost immediately as the only thing holding it back was the high util, which is now <1%.

So I went on an app spree - not at all to spend as I learned my lesson, but just to get some rewards card which I was never able to do in the past years.

So my wife and I applied and got approved for everything we asked for with high credit lines  - 2X Amex PRG, Capital One Venture ($50k), Cap One platinum ($10k), some Chase cards (2X BA at 19k and 10k), Marriott (11k), and Sapphire (14k), 2X Barclays US Airways $12k, $5k), and Barclasy Arrival Plus ($5k). All within a two month period.  All were instant except the second Chase which needed a 2 minute verification phone call..

The one exception was Citi. I applied for the AA platinum mastercard and was denied and I am restricted due to "you are currently enrolled in a payment arrangement program."

The weird thing is that I received a jumbo mortgage at a preferred rate (<4%) from Citi early last year WHILE I was enrolled in the DMP.

So my question: Does anyone know if this restriction lasts forever? Am I done with Citi for life? They certainly haven't removed the restriction even though the last Citi card was paid and closed in November.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi permanent blacklist after completing debt management program?

@syeb wrote:

Short history: 2008-2009 were not good years financially and I took >50% pay cut.. Mortgage, utilities, etc. were paid in cash but everything else went on CCs.

So I entered into a debt management program in 2010 - Only negotiated reduced interest rates from 2%-10%.  Did not reduce any balances whatsoever. I never missed a payment and fully paid the remaining balances in December, about 7 months early.

My FICOs went from 675 to the 750's almost immediately as the only thing holding it back was the high util, which is now <1%.

So I went on an app spree - not at all to spend as I learned my lesson, but just to get some rewards card which I was never able to do in the past years.

So my wife and I applied and got approved for everything we asked for with high credit lines  - 2X Amex PRG, Capital One Venture ($50k), Cap One platinum ($10k), some Chase cards (2X BA at 19k and 10k), Marriott (11k), and Sapphire (14k), 2X Barclays US Airways $12k, $5k), and Barclasy Arrival Plus ($5k). All within a two month period.  All were instant except the second Chase which needed a 2 minute verification phone call..

The one exception was Citi. I applied for the AA platinum mastercard and was denied and I am restricted due to "you are currently enrolled in a payment arrangement program."

The weird thing is that I received a jumbo mortgage at a preferred rate (<4%) from Citi early last year WHILE I was enrolled in the DMP.

So my question: Does anyone know if this restriction lasts forever? Am I done with Citi for life? They certainly haven't removed the restriction even though the last Citi card was paid and closed in November.

The problem is that Citibank has not updated their records that reflected full payment on the Citibank Account and completion of the DMP. You should call for a recon and tell them you sucessfully completed the program.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 9
bradlin
Established Member

Sounds like a mistake. You paid in full, can't see why they would blacklist you.

Message 3 of 9
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

File a dispute with the credit bureaus, "Inaccurate information", since the management program is completed, the "included in debt management program" is erroneos information.  Be persistent until the information is removed from the Citi account, and any other accounts for which may still be listed.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 4 of 9
syeb
Regular Contributor

@itguy_65 wrote:

File a dispute with the credit bureaus, "Inaccurate information", since the management program is completed, the "included in debt management program" is erroneos information.  Be persistent until the information is removed from the Citi account, and any other accounts for which may still be listed.

Thanks for the advice. I checked all three CRs and the notation has been removed for the relevant accounts. I called Citi and the credit analyst said that my account restriction needed to be addressed by customer service. So I called CS and as you can guess said that it is handled by credit. A CS manager promised to relay the message to Credit and request to remove the restriction from my account. She promised a letter in 7-10 days, so I guess I'll know shortly. 

I hope it's not a permanent blacklist. Man Sad

Message 5 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@syeb wrote:

@itguy_65 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I checked all three CRs and the notation has been removed for the relevant accounts. I called Citi and the credit analyst said that my account restriction needed to be addressed by customer service. So I called CS and as you can guess said that it is handled by credit. A CS manager promised to relay the message to Credit and request to remove the restriction from my account. She promised a letter in 7-10 days, so I guess I'll know shortly. 

I hope it's not a permanent blacklist. Man Sad

Thanks for the update.

I really think this is an administrative backlog issue on Citibanks end.

When you spoke to the credit analyst did you ask for a reconsideration, and if so did they see that you paid off your account?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 9
syeb
Regular Contributor

I was quite clear that the accounts were paid in full, completed the DMP, and were closed. The analyst didn't really seem to want to deal with it and was confused by the whole situation.

I forgot to mention I also have an old Citi Aadvantage Visa with zero balance and a perfect payment history.

So I hope you're right that it's just a backlog. I would hate to think I'm blacklisted for life.
Message 7 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@syeb wrote:
I was quite clear that the accounts were paid in full, completed the DMP, and were closed. The analyst didn't really seem to want to deal with it and was confused by the whole situation.

I forgot to mention I also have an old Citi Aadvantage Visa with zero balance and a perfect payment history.

So I hope you're right that it's just a backlog. I would hate to think I'm blacklisted for life.

I confident that you are not on the 'Blacklist," as you paid your debt in full. Blacklisted folks are people who have a unpaid charge off.

I would call again and explain the situation. Couldnt hurt.

Keep us posted.

Message 8 of 9
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@syeb wrote:

Try calling back to speak to someone, I say this because Citi is known for the their world class lagging customer service so going the extra mile isn't always what you'll get. But you have satisfied the obligation and are simply trying to get things back in order, be patient and simply state your case speaking with someone else who might be more willing to actually help might make the difference you have nothing to lose good luck. Go for it!

~all the best Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.