Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank CLI - denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank CLI - denial

I have had my Citibank Costco card for 1 year.  I always PIF and my starting CL was $5500.  I thought I would try for a CLI just to help my untilization as we use this card weekly for our Costco trips and always get gas there.   I was denied the CLI for having a BK on my report.   My BK will fall off my report this September.   Should I try for a CLI as soon as the BK falls off my report or do I need to wait 6 months from the day of my denial?  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citibank CLI - denial

So sorry to hear about you're credit line increase denial. It sucks becasue they are judging you on the basis of history. I would reapply after the BK is off you're credit report. The computer probably saw this. 

ALSO.....I would call, and speak to a credit analyst. Explain the situation. Say we enjoy the card, and really enjoy doing business with you, and we want to spend more at Costco. We love Costco. Is there anything you can do to increase my limitations? 

Pretty much sweettalk one of their agents. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to wait 6 months from denial. The 6 month time frame is what some creditors require you to wait between CLI approvals. You could turn around and reapply today if you wanted. But seeing as they denied you for a BK, I would personally call in and talk to a CSR or even a supervisor. Crazy how they approved you for the card with the BK on the report yet won't give a simple CLI.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I normally would be frustrated but not in this case.  I was happy they gave me the card with the BK there.  I don't NEED the CLI as I'm just doing it to help utilization as I want to upgrade my Hiliton Amex card so I'm hoping they do not care.  After BK I got on my feet and was really good until some unfortunately things happened where I was holding balances again.  I managed to get through those and just paid all my credit cards that had balances off the past few days.  Just in time for my BK to drop off.   I just need a couple weeks to go by for the credit cards to report to the CAs and I should be good.  I got a EE for the BK from TU but haven't even tried EX or EP as I'm still 5 months out.  Hopefully the BK will fall off the EX in June then I will try for the CLI again as I think that is what Citibank uses.  It has been a long road for me to get here and I'm almost at the end of the tunnel.  

Message 4 of 16
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I normally would be frustrated but not in this case.  I was happy they gave me the card with the BK there.  I don't NEED the CLI as I'm just doing it to help utilization as I want to upgrade my Hiliton Amex card so I'm hoping they do not care.  After BK I got on my feet and was really good until some unfortunately things happened where I was holding balances again.  I managed to get through those and just paid all my credit cards that had balances off the past few days.  Just in time for my BK to drop off.   I just need a couple weeks to go by for the credit cards to report to the CAs and I should be good.  I got a EE for the BK from TU but haven't even tried EX or EP as I'm still 5 months out.  Hopefully the BK will fall off the EX in June then I will try for the CLI again as I think that is what Citibank uses.  It has been a long road for me to get here and I'm almost at the end of the tunnel.  

Your situation seems to echo what others have shared. Citi may approve you with a BK on file past a certain number of years depending on the card type. However, many people have also mentioned CLI denials because of the BK. It does seem odd they'll use that as a reason after approving you for a card, but I've also experienced the same. I got approved for the Prestige card with a BK on file. Then, I requested a CLI when the SP language showed up about 2 weeks from approval. The denial reason was the BK. It could also be that I asked way too soon, but they stated BK on the letter.

Citi used EX for my last card approval, but I believe they rely mainly on EQ for CLIs and most credit decisions. The CLI denial letter referenced EQ as the source of credit info. They use EQ Bankcard model, which is the score they provide you with online.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right as they mention EQ in the denial letter.    EQ is the worst for EE.   Oh well.  I'm happy to have had the card for a year as we racked up some rebate with them.  I'm glad I have the card. 

Message 6 of 16
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

I was in the same position you're finding yourself in right now.  I got the Citi Costco card, same limit, with a BK on my reports.  Did not IIB Citi.  Had the soft pull language on my account.  CLI denied because of BK.  Did not get a CLI until it fell off my last report (EQ).  It's now sitting at $14,500 so I'm pretty happy.

Message 7 of 16
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are right as they mention EQ in the denial letter.    EQ is the worst for EE.   Oh well.  I'm happy to have had the card for a year as we racked up some rebate with them.  I'm glad I have the card. 

Good thing is that you're only 4-5 months away from having the BK removed. I have to wait about 1 yr 10 mos or so, but who's counting Smiley Very Happy 

Message 8 of 16
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@2GreenThumbs wrote:

I was in the same position you're finding yourself in right now.  I got the Citi Costco card, same limit, with a BK on my reports.  Did not IIB Citi.  Had the soft pull language on my account.  CLI denied because of BK.  Did not get a CLI until it fell off my last report (EQ).  It's now sitting at $14,500 so I'm pretty happy.

Sounds about right. I only know of one member here who has been able to get CLIs on all Citi cards with a BK still showing. 

Message 9 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Unless you are using up to your credit limit, i would just wait til the bk drops. For those who qualify, you should be avle to get sp cli every 6 months so long as your income and exposure permit it.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.