cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citizen's Bank Cash-Back + 19K Soft Approval - Should I combine?

tag
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

Citizen's Bank Cash-Back + 19K Soft Approval - Should I combine?

I already had a $13K CB+ card with them and asked for any SP CLI offers when I last visited a branch as this is one of my lower limit cards.

They informed me that I could get a CLI of $400 but also said that I had a soft pull approval for $19K...?

I called and couldn't get the 19K approval as a cli and that I'd have to get the card and then can immediately transfer the limit to my old card and then close the new account. What a waste of time on their part as well as time and AAoA on my side.

If I do this right away I'm wondering if they even report the new account at all?

Anybody do something similar and see the new account not show and not affect AAoA? 

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Starting Scores (06/2016):

Current Fico8 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Current Fico9 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

7 REPLIES 7
gordoncharles25
New Contributor

Re: Citizen's Bank Cash-Back + 19K Soft Approval - Should I combine?

So citizens does not do a hard inquiry for credit card applications? Only soft pull on equifax?do you need to have a checking with them to apply for loans or not? Thanks

Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gordoncharles25 wrote:

So citizens does not do a hard inquiry for credit card applications? Only soft pull on equifax?do you need to have a checking with them to apply for loans or not? Thanks

No.

Pre-qualified offers are SP. Applying for any direct products without a pre-approved or pre-qualified offer will typically result in a HP on EQ.

You can apply for CCs and other products without being a Citizen's Bank customer.

Message 3 of 8
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

I did call up to combine the 2 accounts.

I started with 13K on first account and 19K on the new second account.

The only way they would do the transfer is to close one of the accounts and it seems like they have a hard cap of 25K on the CB+ card.

So result is my old account will be 25K and the new account will be closed.

Crappy that I had to open a new account to get what basically boils down to a decent cli but at least no HP.

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@raisemysc0re wrote:

I did call up to combine the 2 accounts.

I started with 13K on first account and 19K on the new second account.

The only way they would do the transfer is to close one of the accounts and it seems like they have a hard cap of 25K on the CB+ card.

So result is my old account will be 25K and the new account will be closed.

Crappy that I had to open a new account to get what basically boils down to a decent cli but at least no HP.

Well, HP impacts fade over time, but a new account would have a higher impact on AAoA than a single HP depending on one's overall credit profile. On the upside, you were able to shuffle some things around to get the limit you wanted based on that SP pre-approval.

That being said, this is a great DP for the community as far as credit limit reallocations go with Citizen's Bank.

Message 5 of 8
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

New account has already been reported... Don't know why I even hoped it wouldn't but it did.

Going to try to garden for 1 year now.

Message 6 of 8
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@gordoncharles25 wrote:

No.

Pre-qualified offers are SP. Applying for any direct products without a pre-approved or pre-qualified offer will typically result in a HP on EQ.

You can apply for CCs and other products without being a Citizen's Bank customer.

SP, I didn't know that 🤔 Too bad the CC they keep offering me is 1.8% - really do not have a use for that Smiley Sad

Potential Future Cards
Message 7 of 8
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@gordoncharles25 wrote:

No.

@FinStar do we know if this is still the case with Citizen when it pertains to pre-qualified offers?

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.