cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Capital One card, and open a new one??

tag
dpatel917
Established Member

Close Capital One card, and open a new one??

Hello everyone, newbie here. Please forgive me if I have asked this question in the wrong area as this is my first post on myfico.

I currently have two cards with Capital One along with an auto loan. The two cards I have are the Quicksilver and QuicksilverOne. Both of these cards have a low $500 dollar limit. The issue I have is with the QuicksilverOne card. It has an annual fee of $39.00. I have called Cap1 many times and requested either a CLI, or a product change. None of those options are available to me. My Fico scores are in the low-mid 700's across all 3 credit bureaus, and my utilization rate every month is around 2-3% of my overall available credit ($27,500) across multiple cards. I opened this card in November 2018 when I started to rebuild my credit. I dont mind keeping the QS card as there is no AF on that one. I dont have a use for the QSOne card with the $39 annual fee. I have other cards with higher limits and better rewards. So, now I am looking into closing that card. My question is, how long after closing that QuicksilverOne card should I wait to apply for another Capital One card? I am looking into applying for the Venture card after closing the QSOne. I am not going to apply for it immediately, but I am looking for a general time frame. Any information/insight is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Close Capital One card, and open a new one??

I opened, and then closed my first CapitolOne card last year, at the date of closure I'd had it for only six weeks and closed it because, among other reasons, the low $1,000 limit was worthless to me.  Six months later, literally to the day, they sent me a pre-approved offer for a Quicksilver card with a $3,000 limit.

I don't know if this should be considered a formula for getting a better card from them, but in my case, it worked (even though that wasn't my plan as I figured they'd be ticked off I closed my first card after such a short time).

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

Try using the link above to and see if you have any offers available to upgrade. If you do close your account I would say wait at least 6 months before you apply.  Keep checking Capital one preapproval link to see if you qualify. 

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/preapprove/

Message 3 of 19
dpatel917
Established Member

Wow thats not a bad offer for that card! 3k is pretty good to start off with. I think the issue I am facing is in 2018 my credit, and credit score was really bad. Capital One was one of the first banks to offer me a card that wasn't secured. I also know that they like to "bucket" subprime customers as well, and I think that's what has happaned to me. No matter how good my credit score and credit profile is now, I will always be in that "bucket" that I was in when I first applied for that card. I think the only way to get out of it is to apply for a new card with the updated credit score and report. Unfortunately Cap1 only allows you to have 2 cards, so cancelling my QSOne is the only option I have.

Message 4 of 19
dpatel917
Established Member

I have used that link so many times. I use it weekly. I never have an upgrade offer. I have called customer service and they say the same thing, I never have any offers and I am never elgible for a credit limit increase. I think I am bucketed into a subprime catagory becasue of my credit score and profile on my original application from 2018. I will have to cancel then reapply for the card I want with the updated credit score and credit profile.

Message 5 of 19
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@dpatel917 wrote:

Wow thats not a bad offer for that card! 3k is pretty good to start off with. I think the issue I am facing is in 2018 my credit, and credit score was really bad. Capital One was one of the first banks to offer me a card that wasn't secured. I also know that they like to "bucket" subprime customers as well, and I think that's what has happaned to me. No matter how good my credit score and credit profile is now, I will always be in that "bucket" that I was in when I first applied for that card. I think the only way to get out of it is to apply for a new card with the updated credit score and report. Unfortunately Cap1 only allows you to have 2 cards, so cancelling my QSOne is the only option I have.

LOL, I am only 12.5 months since my Chapter 13 discharge, they approved my first card six weeks after the discharge, and then the second six months after closing the first.  My scores hovered in the mid to high 600s all last year.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 19
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@dpatel917  There are far better cards out there than Venture. $95 AF for essentially a 2% CB card isn't something to write home about. Are you after it for the juicy SUB they have right now? Or is it something you're wanting for the long term? If it's the former, then I get it. Cap1 is generally a relationship oriented FI, so if you've been putting heavy spend through your other cards with them over the last 6 months and paying in full, or at least very large payments, you may have a good chance at a Venture approval. Your scores look pretty in line with what they look for in a Venture/Savor approval IMO. Keep in mind that the price to apply is 3 HPs. I would not cancel any of your current lines with them before applying for the Venture if that is your ultimate plan. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@dpatel917 wrote:

There's no guarantee that you'll get a better limit. Then you've taken another 3 HP. CO is very good on crediting AF, when upgrade isn't available. My suggestion, better cards, better rewards, better lenders.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. OP's profile sounds fine for additional cards that offer more than CapOne for fewer pulls and with less growth BS. 

Message 9 of 19
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@dpatel917 wrote:

Unfortunately Cap1 only allows you to have 2 cards, so cancelling my QSOne is the only option I have.

Not that I'm voting for you to necessarily apply, I still agree with what I said earlier as well as what the others said about moving on to better lenders, but I just wanted to address this in particular as it is a very common misconception. It gets thrown around that Cap1 has a rule of 2 cards which is incorrect. It works as follows: If you want to apply for a sub-prime/student card which includes Secured, Platinum, QS1, and Journey, you may not apply if you currently have 2 or more open accounts with Cap1. If you want to apply for one of their prime card which includes QS, Venture, VentureOne, Savor, and SavorOne (including V1 and S1 for good credit as listed on thier site) you may not apply if you have 5 or more open accounts with them. In short, you are eligible to apply for the Venture card if you currently have 4 or less revolving accounts open with Cap1. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.