Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Tiger Direct Shutting Down - Do not apply

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Tiger Direct Shutting Down - Do not apply

Heads up everybody.

I applied for the Tiger Direct card back in January and got a nice SL.

I bought a computer and paid it off before the statement cut.

Long story short, I just received a letter stating they will no longer accept new apps AND will break their relationship with Comenity effective 5/4/15.

Well, my ride was fun but at least when the card is 100% closed at the end of this month,  I'll have a hefty CL $10k reporting on all 3 CRAs for up to 10 years.

Sorry to see you go TD credit card -- it was fun while it lasted --- especially pressing your HOT LUV BUTTON. buh-bye!! Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity Tiger Direct Shutting Down - Do not apply

wonder who they will end up using as a bank. about 4 years ago or so, I had their preffered account though Webbank was an awesome hidden tradeline, they closed that... I propbably staill have an open account with them but can't use it, and Webbank won't PC, its useless... Now they are doing the same with commenity, never got a pre-approved offer so didn't sign up. They are running out of lenders.. Especailly with GE/Syncrony in limbo.  

I do love tiger direct, their wharehouse is about 50 miles away from me, I get standard delivery packages overnight, typically before the sale has posted to my credit card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

wonder who they will end up using as a bank. about 4 years ago or so, I had their preffered account though Webbank was an awesome hidden tradeline, they closed that... I propbably staill have an open account with them but can't use it, and Webbank won't PC, its useless... Now they are doing the same with commenity, never got a pre-approved offer so didn't sign up. They are running out of lenders.. Especailly with GE/Syncrony in limbo.  

I do love tiger direct, their wharehouse is about 50 miles away from me, I get standard delivery packages overnight, typically before the sale has posted to my credit card. 

I know  ---- maybe an Amex Tiger Direct card for 5x spend on everything we buy at their site????  I can wish right??? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear. I have had the account for a year. I used it once or twice. I got generous credit lines.

Ron.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

Sorry to hear. I have had the account for a year. I used it once or twice. I got generous credit lines.

Ron.

Ron -- do you think it would be better to call Comenity to close the account or wait for my CRAs to report as "Closed by Creditor"  - I head it's better for the consumer to close it than the other way around.

Message 5 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Ron -- do you think it would be better to call Comenity to close the account or wait for my CRAs to report as "Closed by Creditor"  - I head it's better for the consumer to close it than the other way around.

It doesn't matter. Comenity closed Vitacost MC for me last year. I didn't see nay score drop. 

Ron.

Message 6 of 13
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

It doesn't matter. Comenity closed Vitacost MC for me last year. I didn't see nay score drop. 

Ron.

I erred on the side of caution, and proactively called to request closure when the Vitacost MC program was set to end.

I'm glad I passed on the preapproval last year... I wasn't 100% sure it would be HP-less, and earn 5% with Upromise MC.

I wish these short-lived programs offered an option to strike all mention of the account from credit reports. (sigh)

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nobody cares if you close the account or if it is closed by the grantor.

Companies go out of business all the time, credit cards get closed.  People have said "Under manual review" it will make a difference.  C'mon, you think the Underwriter doesn't have a brain and have never heard of a company closing its own credit line?  FICO scoring doesn't care, Computer Underwriters don't care, "manual review" underwriters know it better than we do that companies credit lines are closed all the time.

There's no logical reason for a consumer to get blamed for this.  

The "Consumer closed is better" myth is just another Suburban Legend perpetuated by the repetition of bad information and the ominous sounding "Manual Review".

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

balboa - gads you are loosing Tiger Direct and the Amex Costco. May need to go card shopping!
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spider. Already got my Tiger replacement. Approved for Serta 6,250 and Care Credit $9,000. :-)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.