cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity. To accept pre-approval or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity. To accept pre-approval or not?

Now I just got an email that just said please disregard the pre-approved mail. I will NEVER shop there now. Even if they have Coach bags for ten cents.

Okay, maybe then. But no other time!
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me tell you something creepy.  The reason two of our posts have a different kind of looking message about the mistake is because mine is the original email.

I went back in and checked my new mail and found a message that looked like the one you posted.

How in the world did this company unsend a pre-approval email and replace it with a message that they had made a mistake?  What else can they do to my computer's email account?

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The images are hotlinked from their server, which means when your email client opens, the images are pulled from their server. If you were offline and opened it for the first time, it would have been blank. So all they had to do was change the image they had on their server and any time you opened it, it would show the new image.

Message 13 of 14
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The images are hotlinked from their server, which means when your email client opens, the images are pulled from their server. If you were offline and opened it for the first time, it would have been blank. So all they had to do was change the image they had on their server and any time you opened it, it would show the new image.

This.  ^^^

It only looks like your email* is in your mailbox. It's not.

In fact, only the link to a file that contains a picture of your email is in there. That picture can be changed out at any time. That's done for a host of legitimate reasons and is not in and of itself sleazy. I prepare email blasts from time to time and do this in all of them.

But changing the entire meaning of the image that your email link links out to, that is pretty slimy. I can kinda see why they did it as an expeditious way of "removing" their original email. But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And for users who don't understand the technology (and shouldn't have to in order to rely upon bank email!), it's downright creepy, and can easily lead one to believe they've been hacked or something.

Not cool!

*edited to clarify that most of your email will be in your box. Email that is or contains images will be partially in, and partially out. Some email contains substantially all of its content in image/s. What's been posted here looks like that flavor.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.