cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Citi and BoA

UncleB
Moderator

Considering Citi and BoA

My last 'baddie' finally aged off my reports a few weeks ago, and I'm considering apping for a couple of new cards. 

 

I'll add that I've been gardening since November when I added NFCU, and before that my last app was in July 2015.

 

Here are my details:

Inquiries TU-4, EQ-4, EX-3

AAoA - 5 years

Oldest Account - 12 years

 

EQ FICO - 749
TU FICO - 771

EX FICO - ??? (I have seen the report; it's clean so the score should be similar to the others)

 

Here are my thoughts:

 

1.  Citi Diamond Preferred - I've got a 0% balance transfer I'm currently working to pay down on Discover that I'll need to move elsewhere in a few months.  (It was for dental work so it's a one-off thing, I usually PIF).  I'm thinking that I won't need nearly the entire promo time offered by the Diamond Preferred, but once PIF I can PC to a Double Cash; even if I have to wait until my APR promo is over that's OK.  I'm also thinking I'll likely get a more generous SL with the Diamond Preferred over the DC.  Considerations:  I've not apped for a Citi product since they were IIBK 16 years ago, so I might be blacklisted.  FWIW, I did get two 'pre-selected' offers from Citi for the first time ever a few weeks ago for the DC and Simplicity, both with a set APR.

 

2.  Bank of America BBR - This one is obvious; I want it for the annual $100.  Since I happen to have a balance to transfer, I could also use this for the balance transfer I mentioned above (as a plus, if it were to do so it would keep me from having to bother with a stand-alone charge each month to generate activity).  Last year BoA was my only decline; they turned me down for the AAA Visa Signature due to two baddies (both of which are gone now).  I'm thinking the BBR would be an easier approval anyway, since it can be issued with a credit line less than $5k (unlike the AAA card unless you recon).

 

I have a few other "candidates" but the two above are the only ones on my 'radar' that are inquiry and new account sensitive, and thus would need to be first. 

 

I'm open to suggestions and ideas... at this time I'm looking for cards to keep around for a while; I'll look for bonus opportunities later on once I get the "important" cards safely in my wallet.  Smiley Wink

 

I don't have much use for hotel cards, which basically rules out Chase since I'm beyond 5/24 for their proprietary cards.  Also, Barclays is a no-go, since I'm on their blacklist.  From what I've read lately about how peculiar they are I'm actually not too torn-up over it, though.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
ksb1
Valued Contributor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

I love my BBR, easiest $120 I make in a year.

I was approved for the BBR in January. I was 25 months post ch7 with a 678 EX. The limit is only $1k but that's more than plenty. I have had a BofA checking since 2013.

back to a seedling 3/17/18
Message 2 of 31
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Considering Citi and BoA


@ksb1 wrote:
I love my BBR, easiest $120 I make in a year.

I was approved for the BBR in January. I was 25 months post ch7 with a 678 EX. The limit is only $1k but that's more than plenty. I have had a BofA checking since 2013.

Thanks for the data point... I'm thinking I'll be able to get approved for at least a small limit, which like you mention doesn't matter as long as I can make the quarterly bonus!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 31
copper44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

Congrats on getting your last baddie aged off and I think you should get both cards Smiley Happy 

Ymmv ~ Cheers!

Discover it (4k), United (8k), Southwest (9k), AARP (5k), Hyatt (8k), Freedom (8k), Venture (20k), Quicksilver (30k), Hawaiian (15k), Cabelas (4k), BofA Cash (1.5k), Amex Hilton (10k), Citi Voyager (5k), Citi AA Platinum (4k), Farmers (7.5k), Amex Spg (10k)
Message 4 of 31
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Considering Citi and BoA


@copper44 wrote:

Congrats on getting your last baddie aged off and I think you should get both cards Smiley Happy 


Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 31
Musiclover
Super Contributor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

Congratulations on your progress! If your EX score is about the same as the others, I wouldn't think you would have any problems with either card you want.Smiley Happy Good luck!


Daily Drivers: Penfed Platinum Rewards; NFCU GoRewards; Discover..
Message 6 of 31
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

Well, I decided to stop studying about it and just pull the trigger...

 

I went for the Citi card first... it's gone to review.  Smiley Indifferent

 

They emailed me a link to check the status, and it says it can take up to a week, but to check back after 24 hours.  I don't know if this is just 'routine' or if something from the past is coming back to haunt me.  Either way I'm actually OK with my decision to app... if it turns out they are holding the old account that was IIBK 16 years ago against me, I might as well know about it so I can move on.  I would prefer to know in any case, so the HP(s) will be worth it even if it doesn't work out.

 

As for the Bank of American BBR, I got approved!  The SL is $6k.  It makes the uncertainty from the Citi app worth the suspense.  Smiley Very Happy

 

(Am I the only one who gets nervous while the apps are processing?  I swear I can feel my heart beat...)

 

 

I'll let you guys know what happens with the Citi app, but I give it 50/50. 

Message 7 of 31
Musiclover
Super Contributor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

Congratulations on the instant approval and good luck with the one waiting, UncleB!


Daily Drivers: Penfed Platinum Rewards; NFCU GoRewards; Discover..
Message 8 of 31
jfriend33
Senior Contributor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA


@UncleB wrote:

Well, I decided to stop studying about it and just pull the trigger...

 

I went for the Citi card first... it's gone to review.  Smiley Indifferent

 

They emailed me a link to check the status, and it says it can take up to a week, but to check back after 24 hours.  I don't know if this is just 'routine' or if something from the past is coming back to haunt me.  Either way I'm actually OK with my decision to app... if it turns out they are holding the old account that was IIBK 16 years ago against me, I might as well know about it so I can move on.  I would prefer to know in any case, so the HP(s) will be worth it even if it doesn't work out.

 

As for the Bank of American BBR, I got approved!  The SL is $6k.  It makes the uncertainty from the Citi app worth the suspense.  Smiley Very Happy

 

(Am I the only one who gets nervous while the apps are processing?  I swear I can feel my heart beat...)

 

 

I'll let you guys know what happens with the Citi app, but I give it 50/50. 


Finally! He apps!  Lol.  Glad your last baddie fell off!  That is a great starting limit with BOA. I envision it tripled in 6-12 mos easily!!!

 

Now, I will say that just because the BBR has 0 for 12, they will continue to send you checks and they are often times for longer than 12 months.  So in the future its always helpful.  U should app for a 2nd BBR!

EQ 730, TU 730, EX 720. INQs EQ-1, TU-9, EX-7 AAOA 4yrs Util 6% Inspiration: Themanwhocan's Cash Back Charts
Message 9 of 31
UncleB
Moderator

Re: Considering Citi and BoA


@jfriend33 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Well, I decided to stop studying about it and just pull the trigger...

 

I went for the Citi card first... it's gone to review.  Smiley Indifferent

 

They emailed me a link to check the status, and it says it can take up to a week, but to check back after 24 hours.  I don't know if this is just 'routine' or if something from the past is coming back to haunt me.  Either way I'm actually OK with my decision to app... if it turns out they are holding the old account that was IIBK 16 years ago against me, I might as well know about it so I can move on.  I would prefer to know in any case, so the HP(s) will be worth it even if it doesn't work out.

 

As for the Bank of American BBR, I got approved!  The SL is $6k.  It makes the uncertainty from the Citi app worth the suspense.  Smiley Very Happy

 

(Am I the only one who gets nervous while the apps are processing?  I swear I can feel my heart beat...)

 

 

I'll let you guys know what happens with the Citi app, but I give it 50/50. 


Finally! He apps!  Lol.  Glad your last baddie fell off!  That is a great starting limit with BOA. I envision it tripled in 6-12 mos easily!!!

 

Now, I will say that just because the BBR has 0 for 12, they will continue to send you checks and they are often times for longer than 12 months.  So in the future its always helpful.  U should app for a 2nd BBR!


Yep, I'm a bit slow sometimes! LOL

 

I did a thread over in approvals for the BBR:

 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Bank-of-America-BBR-Approved/td-p/4596444

 

And you read my mind... I already planned on going for another one towards the end of the year!  Smiley LOL

 


 

 

I'll keep this thread here until I have a final status on the Citi Diamond Preferred... there's still (a little) hope <fingers crossed>. 

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.