Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Considering a mini-spree, could use some advice

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Concerns and best practices:

2. I think the "best practice" is to avoid sprees, and add cards gradually.

@SouthJamaica, Now you tell meSmiley Tongue

BTW ...great advice. I am not to sure about sprees in this economic environment.

Well @M_Smart007 I don't think that advice necessarily applies to you, as I believe the banks and credit unions have a special place in their hearts for you.

They have a special place in their heart for @Anonymous as well, it's just smaller (SLs). Smiley LOL

I believe so, so gonna app for United Explorer, that instant $250 stmt credit is too tempting plus the best benefits among fellow $95 cards Smiley LOL I mean already gazillion of HPs so what's 1 more at this stage, for science Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 44
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Concerns and best practices:

2. I think the "best practice" is to avoid sprees, and add cards gradually.

@SouthJamaica, Now you tell meSmiley Tongue

BTW ...great advice. I am not to sure about sprees in this economic environment.

Well @M_Smart007 I don't think that advice necessarily applies to you, as I believe the banks and credit unions have a special place in their hearts for you.

They have a special place in their heart for @Anonymous as well, it's just smaller (SLs). Smiley LOL

I believe so, so gonna app for United Explorer, that instant $250 stmt credit is too tempting plus the best benefits among fellow $95 cards Smiley LOL I mean already gazillion of HPs so what's 1 more at this stage, for science Smiley LOL

Is that the new excuse among junkies? Just one more hit, for science! Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 44
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

We need a sub forum for Credit Seekers Anonymal...err...Anonymous.

Maybe it should require applying for approval to participate to increase enrollment.

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderful idea @uncredited  Smiley LOL

Now railing against useless Delta, no flights to LRGV only to Houston and overpriced, to boot Smiley Mad  Why do u make it so hard for me to app for Gold Smiley LOL 

Message 14 of 44
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I stopped by the local U.S. Bank branch today. The banker insisted that any rumors of people being rejected for having opened more than 1 or 2 credit cards in the past year was complete nonsense, and if you had a good credit score you were basically guaranteed to be accepted. And then she went on to say that if I was rejected, she'd just resubmit the application -- and in an off-hand comment without any hint of self-awareness, said that had happened a lot lately.

@SouthJamaica, you should be ashamed for spreading bad information! U.S. Bank is easy! Smiley Very Happy

She also hated the Cash+. When I mentioned I was interested in the card, she immediately tried to talk me of it, pushing the Altitude Go instead. She didn't care what I was interested in, and didn't even seem to be aware of what categories the cards covered, she just went off on a rant about how you have to activate the quarterly categories with the Cash+, and everyone forgets, so it's a bad card stay away.

I wouldn't say the trip was informative, but it was amusing. Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 44
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymalous wrote:

I stopped by the local U.S. Bank branch today. The banker insisted that any rumors of people being rejected for having opened more than 1 or 2 credit cards in the past year was complete nonsense, and if you had a good credit score you were basically guaranteed to be accepted. And then she went on to say that if I was rejected, she'd just resubmit the application -- and in an off-hand comment without any hint of self-awareness, said that had happened a lot lately.

@SouthJamaica, you should be ashamed for spreading bad information! U.S. Bank is easy! Smiley Very Happy

She also hated the Cash+. When I mentioned I was interested in the card, she immediately tried to talk me of it, pushing the Altitude Go instead. She didn't care what I was interested in, and didn't even seem to be aware of what categories the cards covered, she just went off on a rant about how you have to activate the quarterly categories with the Cash+, and everyone forgets, so it's a bad card stay away.

I wouldn't say the trip was informative, but it was amusing. Smiley LOL

Well, the thing is, personal bankers are incentivized for products. So, I can see why the trip was amusing 😁

They do not have any control over any UW decisions and will tell you what you want to hear, even the "rumors" part. Essentially, underwriting determines the final outcome and even if a banker bats for you on a reconsideration or appeal, if UW says no, then it's a no. Very seldom do these decisions get overturned by a banker, which would be no different if an individual did it themselves and made the supporting case to overturn the decision 🤷‍♂️

Message 16 of 44
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Well, the thing is, personal bankers are incentivized for products. So, I can see why the trip was amusing 😁

They do not have any control over any UW decisions and will tell you what you want to hear, even the "rumors" part. Essentially, underwriting determines the final outcome and even if a banker bats for you on a reconsideration or appeal, if UW says no, then it's a no. Very seldom do these decisions get overturned by a banker, which would be no different if an individual did it themselves and made the supporting case to overturn the decision 🤷‍♂️

I know, I just found it very entertaining how uninformed her answers were. Though I'm not even sure she was trying to sell me anything, because she never tried to close the deal and get me to open anything, even though I had expressed an interest in both credit cards and deposit accounts. Plus, I'm pretty sure bashing your own cards isn't in the approved script at any FI. Cash+ bad!  Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 44
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymalous  So did you decide if you are going to app next for Cash+?

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 18 of 44
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

@Anonymalous  So did you decide if you are going to app next for Cash+?

No, I don't think so. The reason for my visit was to get a feel for the bank in general, because I've been looking to move some of my deposit accounts. U.S. Bank has a really good SUB for their checking ($500), that ends on Monday, and having a credit card is a way to avoid the monthly fee, which would make a natural combination. But their fees are high and their limits are low, so I don't think they're a good choice for a long-term bank. It wasn't a deciding factor, but my general impression is that U.S. Bank felt more like a fuddy-duddy old school local bank than the 5th largest American bank by assets.

I'll think I'll try for the Max Cash Preferred instead. While I was amused by the banker's rant, I do agree with her about activating the quarterly categories. While I could certainly set an alert, I'd much prefer to set the categories and forget them. The MCP allows for that. Plus, one of the local FIs that offers the card is a genuine local bank. (After more than 130 years, they finally opened their third branch a half a dozen years ago!) I don't have any deposit accounts with them, but I certainly could, and it's good to have that as option.

Elan is apparently a bit looser than U.S. Bank, but I'm still a young file. So I'm going to wait until 12/1 to ensure I'm at 1/12, giving me the best chance.

And I'll apply for the card from the local credit union, at the same time. I'll skip the Flex/Custom Cash for the moment. I can apply for those in 6 months or so, if it seems appropriate.

So 2 cards. I don't think that will qualify as spree to anyone except @uncreditedSmiley LOL

Message 19 of 44
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

You mean 2/6, right?  You daredevil! Smiley Wink

Your USB story reminds me of my "branch manager" (probably out of middle school?) story I referenced in my amex approval post. It makes me so mad. Most people believe what the bank tells them at the bank ... most don't think they're little more than a marketing office.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.