cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual Amex CLI Denial for 1.5 years (SL = 3500)

tag
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

Re: Continual Amex CLI Denial for 1.5 years (SL = 3500)

@Anonymous wrote:
What are the reasons their giving you?

They rotate them:

Too many open revolving accounts

Too many recent inquiries

You may only request one CLI every 90 days

etc etc

Message 11 of 17
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I've often wondered and been kind of dismayed by that very thing.

Some lenders don't seem willing to budge for a moment in spite of superb stats with a CLI on an existing card in good standing but are more than willing to extend additional credit in the form of a new account(s) with them.

This is why I love Chase, because you can move limits when you're done with a card (have to leave $500 behind).  So I now have a phat Sapphire Preferred.  But have had 5 cards, 5 sign on bonuses, etc.  Amex will let you transfer limits, BUT only AFTER you've had the card(s) for 13 months, and they've stolen their AF if there is one. 

Message 12 of 17
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX hates me for some reason. Ive been denied 5x by AMEX in the last year. Atleast you have other AMEX acounts. I would love to be in your situation with the ED card.

I feel you bro.  My "golden egg" was a Citi DoubleCash.  Denied many times.  I applied every 90 days for 1.5 years before I finally got approved.  Now I'm happy.  I have all major banks and about 250k in unsecured credit, at less than 1% util.  My AAoA took a hard hit in the last 1.5 years, but I'm gardening, and letting those INQs drop off, and let those revolvers age out past 3 years and should be into the 800 club.  I hope.

Message 13 of 17
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried my 3x on my 61st day on 05/28. They told me to go back to my corner. 😒 I was counting down the days from my approval, only to be shot down in seconds.

Their CS reps are the WORST, too.  They barely speak English, and they have a strong "we don't care" tone in their voice.

Message 14 of 17
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
I always say there sometimes never seems to be a true method into their decisions. When you read the threads, it can be all over the place. This is with anything, not just AMEX. It surely can be a frustrating guessing game at times.

Yeah, I have so many now, it's just not necessary anymore.  In fact, I'll be closing all cards under 10k soon, except my USBank Cash+ (never close your USBank Cash+ card).  I began this journey in Nov 2014, and it's about to be complete.  ;-)  Sad in a way, but hey, I got what I came for.  Look forward to the 5 year mark, and 0/0/0 INQs.  5 Years of PIFs monthly (letting all balances report) should be awesome.

Message 15 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@vikingred wrote:

@RM21 wrote:
I always say there sometimes never seems to be a true method into their decisions. When you read the threads, it can be all over the place. This is with anything, not just AMEX. It surely can be a frustrating guessing game at times.

Yeah, I have so many now, it's just not necessary anymore.  In fact, I'll be closing all cards under 10k soon, except my USBank Cash+ (never close your USBank Cash+ card).  I began this journey in Nov 2014, and it's about to be complete.  ;-)  Sad in a way, but hey, I got what I came for.  Look forward to the 5 year mark, and 0/0/0 INQs.  5 Years of PIFs monthly (letting all balances report) should be awesome.

And allow me to do one better.

Never close any US Bank card account especially when it's your only one with them no matter what. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is locked pending moderator review.

gdale6
myFico Moderator
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.