cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could you successfully apply for Amex/Chase with "AU only" generated FICO of 765?

tag
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Could you successfully apply for Amex/Chase with "AU only" generated FICO of 765?

My wife has a FICO score of 765 steming from 4 authorized user accounts on my personal cards. She has no prior credit history of her own.

Has anyone successfully applied for a Chase Freedom or Amex Everyday card with only an authorized user generated FICO score? What are the odds of an approval?

It's funny to see a score of 765 with 0 accounts and 0 years of history. Score was provided by Discover's free scorecard.

Authorized User Generated FICO Score.jpg

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Could you successfully apply for Amex/Chase with "AU only" generated FICO of 765?

765 is an amazing score! But based on what you said, I think she'll have a better shot getting approved for the AMEX card than Chase. I would wait on Chase after she's established credit that is actually hers. Chase normally require at least a year before opening it's doors to young and thin files. 

Message 2 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Could you successfully apply for Amex/Chase with "AU only" generated FICO of 765?

@Zolomon wrote:

My wife has a FICO score of 765 steming from 4 authorized user accounts on my personal cards. She has no prior credit history of her own.

Has anyone successfully applied for a Chase Freedom or Amex Everyday card with only an authorized user generated FICO score? What are the odds of an approval?

It's funny to see a score of 765 with 0 accounts and 0 years of history. Score was provided by Discover's free scorecard.

Authorized User Generated FICO Score.jpg

Look at the boxes above. Zeros all around. During application process, a lot of lenders will "separate" AU accounts just like you see above. 

While they are great to add some age, they will not get her approved. She has no history at all. 

AU accounts are not shortcuts. They help the most when individual has accounts of their own, but lack age. 

For Chase, I'd say 0% chance. I dont think Amex will go for it, either. 

Be mindful when doing prequal through Amex. AU accounts are not "stripped" till she actually applies. 

I would go down Cap One and/or Discover (if they offer her secured card) and build from there. 

Message 3 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I got my daughters credit started by adding her to a couple of my cards. She was approved for a $500 Quicksilver without going the secured route. Have your wife do the pre-equals on Cap One and Discover. They'll likely give her a small SL, but I think they'll open the door for her.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added my father who never has any credit before as an AU on my Capital One VentureOne card. Took his score to EX FICO 8 of 736. Got pre-qualified for the Discover IT Cashback and approved for $500 SL. We also checked Amex, got pre-qualified for every card. We applied for the Amex Hilton Honors card, approved for $2,000. For Chase, nothing with the pre-qualified. We cold apped for the Chase Freedom Unlimited, instant denial! 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As previously suggested I would apply for a Discover and an Amex card...either should be a cinch.  I doubt she would be able to get a Chase card until she has some actual credit history of her own.

Message 6 of 10
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I added my father who never has any credit before as an AU on my Capital One VentureOne card. Took his score to EX FICO 8 of 736. Got pre-qualified for the Discover IT Cashback and approved for $500 SL. We also checked Amex, got pre-qualified for every card. We applied for the Amex Hilton Honors card, approved for $2,000. For Chase, nothing with the pre-qualified. We cold apped for the Chase Freedom Unlimited, instant denial! 

Did you apply for the Disover IT Cashback and the Amex Hilton Honors on the same day, or was there a noticeable time gap between apps?

I was thinking of going for the Amex Everyday, then Bank of America Cash Rewards and/or Discover IT.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zolomon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you apply for the Disover IT Cashback and the Amex Hilton Honors on the same day, or was there a noticeable time gap between apps?

I was thinking of going for the Amex Everyday, then Bank of America Cash Rewards and/or Discover IT.

Within a couple days of each other.

Message 8 of 10
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Zolomon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Within a couple days of each other.

YOU WERE RIGHT! LOL

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your wife's succesful approval @Zolomon.

Locking this thread as she has been approved.  Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.