cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Journey - AMEX BCE Prequal - Denied - Cap1 Prequal SaverOne - Denied - want a 3rd card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX BCE Prequal - Denied

I would hesitate to add another card that could be a store card with OP's limited credit. Its a good way to be trapped in low limit hell for a long time. 

Message 111 of 125
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would hesitate to add another card that could be a store card with OP's limited credit. Its a good way to be trapped in low limit hell for a long time. 

Agreed. It's a gamble but still a possibility that I wanted to bring up.  For instance, my HSN card, a store card was 6k which led to my next sct being a mastercard through Comenity.  (I believe) I proved myself in a very short period of time and I kept climbing up the ladder with them to obtain two Credit Cards. Within a 5 month period from first to the last at 9 months.

ETA: I closed all but one...the one worth keeping.  Anyway, just a thought.  My scores were bad, thin file at the time of first app.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 112 of 125
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

and that is not a good place to be .. is it.

Message 113 of 125
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

and that is not a good place to be .. is it.

No it's not. Smiley Sad Last Oct I had a $200 secured Discover, CapOne $500 plus one open LOC.  Last Dec. HSN 2k to begin with. 

It's definitely baby steps...but being trapped, I don't think low limit cards trap you as long as they are reporting positively and you're constantly working to increase the limits and strategically app for the next card. 

I wouldn't recommend my way of doing it  because no two profiles are identical.....no Magic Bullet. There are good guesses and bad guesses. Can say that the advice on this forum and checking pre-quals,  coming back often and asking more questions seems to be a solid approach. 

Gotta crawl before you walk.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 114 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Want a 2nd Visa or MC card as a backup. Thinfile How to approach this?

Lenders such as Chase, Discover, Citi bank, PNC and Capital one all have solid Prequals. It's not 100% hence you're denial but they are strong the vast majority of the time and aren't merely marketing.
@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Umm, Capital One's prequal is known to be pretty solid. It's a SP on EQ, not pure marketing. 

My denials would beg to differ.  2 times in the past couple of years... They might be mad because I closed out an old account with them that didn't see much action for several years as it was a carryover from HSBC when they bought their portfolio.

There's two niche areas where they will hand out cards.... where they can make a profit on Platinum and where they will make money on swipes with an aged / firm credit foundation w/o a lot of activity.  Their card practices put them at the bottom of the list of non-predatory cards.  

Message 115 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not going to down the path of a secured card. 

Also, It seems AMEX may not have hit me with a HP? Still no HP credit alerts yet and I normally would have them by now. That would be nice if they denied me before a HP. 

Message 116 of 125
elixerin
Established Contributor

dude then you need to wait... the HP will show up, Even if it doesn’t you gonna feel safe to apply more? keep shooting down all the advice almost 13 pages worth being given and keep doing you lmao.

Gain some patience. best wishes...
Message 117 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elixerin wrote:
dude then you need to wait... the HP will show up, Even if it doesn’t you gonna feel safe to apply more? keep shooting down all the advice almost 13 pages worth being given and keep doing you lmao.

Gain some patience. best wishes...

What leads you to believe that I am going to apply for more credit at this point? It was just an observation nothing more. NOWHERE did I say I am going to apply for more credit at this point... No idea how that i haven't seen a HP form AMEX leads to I am going to apply for more credit lmao.

Clearly I have said I wanted to try and get more card before going to the graden for two years. That failed so sticking with the gardening plan. 

Read please. 

Message 118 of 125
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Alright, no need for the snippy remarks and a reminder to keep all posts/replies FSR, this is not optional folks. I'd hate to lock the thread.

Message 119 of 125
Anonymous
Not applicable

The HP Finally showed up days later. A bit strange.

Right now HPs wise I stand TU: 3 EQ: 2 EX: 2

Forgot to mention BB&T is not an option here. They don't serve my state. 

Message 120 of 125
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.