cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Needed for AMEX Platinum and positive affects on credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Needed for AMEX Platinum and positive affects on credit score?

What is the credit score needed to be approved for an AMEX platinum card?

Also, since it is a charge card, how would that affect my overall credit score if I were approved for one?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Score Needed for AMEX Platinum and positive affects on credit score?

Welcome to the forum 

best guess 650+

effect= none 

No different than a CC .....charge cards and credit cards are viewed the same in Fico eyes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
satasat360
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the credit score needed to be approved for an AMEX platinum card?

Also, since it is a charge card, how would that affect my overall credit score if I were approved for one?

I got that when my EXP score was 723. I had 2 amex cards BCE and Costco at the time of app with 18 months history with AMEX.

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

I had a 640 when I was approved for green card, same underwriting as platinum. I upgraded to platinum last year.
Message 4 of 6
Dawggie14
Regular Contributor

I was at 695 FICO8 with Experian, and I applied immediately following approval of my JetBlue card, which was my first Amex.

Good luck if you're considering it!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should see if your Citi Diamond Preferred is eligible for a PC to the dividend.  Some folks dont like the categories, but I like them!

Will you have lots of use of the perks with the platinum card?  Are they offering you a targeted bonus?  If you arent seeing at least 75k I would hold off. It has went to 100k quite a bit. Now unless of course you would thoroughly use most of the platinum perks asap then by all means go for it. Dont forget about alternate versions of the platinum card.  Like mercedes benz, etc.

That being said all of the amex charge cards have the same approval criteria.  Greed, Gold, Platinum, doesnt matter.  Basically no baddies and 670+ you are fine.  And besides u are already in with amex , if its a denial 99% of the time its only a soft pull on your credit.

If you did get approved you would see a 5 point drop for a month maybe.  Balances carried wont impact your utilization. So your scores could go up if you have better util.

Your jet blue card that you have now, what do you plan on doing with that or have you decided yet?  Because really when it goes to barclays, you could in essence use 1 hard inquiry and apply for 1 amex credit card, and one amex charge card. You would have 20k of CL to move to the new card as well.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.