cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

I got the FCU Fever. Who hasn't? For months I've been reading of these great SLs being dropped left & right. Who doesn't want some? I wasn't content with just Navy & RBFCU & Perfed (yuk) so I researched many of the marvelous FCUs and reached out to several my research suggested would react favorably to my profile. Exciting stuff! My results from the last 7-10 days (Foreshadowing Alert! 7-10 days, get it?):

Langley: HP EQ & no membership because they couldn't verify I am me -- to be continued;

TDESCU: HP TU & then denied me membership: Egyptian-type message delivered over telephone;

Alliant: HP TU & denied CC because of too much unsecured credit;

Chartway: Membership easy but denied CC -- HP EQ -- because too many Inq & recent Accts; message delivered over telephone -- said I could write a recon letter to Lending, if I chose);

Penfed: Denied SP CLI @ Month 7; this CC, and total exposure to Penfed, remains at 2K.

Meanwhile:

NFCU approved two CLI -- HP EQ -- plus a 3rd card -- HP TU -- after only 8 months of membership, bringing total CLs to over 60K;

RBFCU approved a CC CLI -- HP TU -- of 12K bringing new total to 20K after 3 1/2 months of membership. I'll probably now also app for a PLOC to make full use of this HP.

Same me. Same information input. Radically different results. What can we ascertain from this Jolly Jaunt of mine?

1) Time for me to slow down (I've heard there's a Garden around here -- is it lovely?);

2) WALDT (goes for FCUs too -- why begrudge them their druthers?) & YMMV.  Always.

Least that's what I took from it. But I'm open to learning something else. Amusing, no?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

Yeah, James, we need to plant you firmly in the Garden. 

I admire your tenacity, tho. I'd be crying in the corner at the second nope

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

@Remedios wrote:

Yeah, James, we need to plant you firmly in the Garden. 

How "planted"? Like a plant planted? Just sit there and look like a plant planted? 

I admire your tenacity, tho. I'd be crying in the corner at the second nope

Well they all kind of went out in a flurry & returned in a flurry. No time to mope. But now ...?

Message 3 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

If you'd asked, I would have warned about apping CUs. Most of them are very conservative. Unless they give me a solid pre-approval, I don't do CC apps with them.
The larger banks as a whole are much more lenient.
If you want approvals, hit the banks like Commerce, Union bank, SunTrust, BB&T, BMO-Harris and BBVA if in your area.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
If you'd asked, I would have warned about apping CUs. Most of them are very conservative. Unless they give me a solid pre-approval, I don't do CC apps with them.
The larger banks as a whole are much more lenient.
If you want approvals, hit the banks like Commerce, Union, SunTrust and BBVA if in your area.

Live & learn (hopefully). Thanks for the tip. 

And maybe my Follies will benefit someone else. That's my hope. 

Message 5 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You got the itch huh?Smiley Wink Forget gardening, the only true cure is some more COWBELL!!Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 16
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

This was painful to read

Sorry James

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a similar thing.

TDECU- Approved membership and was only approved for $2K credit card.

Langley - Approved membership and was only approved for $2K credit card. Required POI, which I can provide but passed on the credit card. Will apply again in the future.

NASA - Approved membership but denied twice for credit card.

DCU - Approved Membership, also approved for $5K credit card which is now a $10K SL with preapproved $5K CLI.

First Tech CU - Denied Membership

SSFCU - $5K Card & $5K LOC

NFCU - $20K & $15K credit cards, $15K cloc

Penfed - $10K Credit Card, $10K Loc (denied several times for CLI and new credit card)

RBFCU - $25K Credit Card, denied line of credit
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I did a similar thing.

Wow. Thanks for the DPs. Did you do your apps as part of a spree or an extended period of time?

Message 9 of 16
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Ouch @ James. I would be in the corner with Remedios with a box of Kleenex after the first denial. Maybe not a box, a case sounds more sufficient..

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.