cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

@xaximus wrote:
Ouch @ James. I would be in the corner with Remedios with a box of Kleenex after the first denial. Maybe not a box, a case sounds more sufficient..

Lol, x. It truly didn't hurt so much -- perhaps because it happened so suddenly or perhaps because of Navy & RBFCU sucesses were mixed in. Maybe the "shock factor" helped -- I was totally caught offguard with the denials. My research suggested I was just the customer they were looking for. Huh? What? No? Say what again?

Now that the dust has settled and the chips have fallen where they've fallen, I can take a mostly analytical approach to assessing the carnage ("Hmm, THAT didn't work so well. Let's not try THAT again.") What's left but to grin and bear it?

Starting Score: (5/24/2018) -- FICO 08 EXP: 643; FICO 08 TU: 642; FICO 08 EQ: 677
Current Score (11/11/2020): FICO 08 EXP: 747; TU: 762; EQ: 782
2020 Goal Score: 760 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Union Follies: a short story of one man simultaneously cast as Trash & Treasure

@James_A wrote:

@xaximus wrote:
Ouch @ James. I would be in the corner with Remedios with a box of Kleenex after the first denial. Maybe not a box, a case sounds more sufficient..

Lol, x. It truly didn't hurt so much -- perhaps because it happened so suddenly or perhaps because of Navy & RBFCU sucesses were mixed in. Maybe the "shock factor" helped -- I was totally caught offguard with the denials. My research suggested I was just the customer they were looking for. Huh? What? No? Say what again?

Now that the dust has settled and the chips have fallen where they've fallen, I can take a mostly analytical approach to assessing the carnage ("Hmm, THAT didn't work so well. Let's not try THAT again.") What's left but to grin and bear it?

That's a good way to approach it, I like the optimism here. Sort of reminds me of what Einstien said when discovering the light bulb. He found a "thousand" ways it didn't work. CU's generally tend to be more conservative, one of the main reasons why back in June 2018, the first card I apped for was Alliant. I figured if I was going to get a CU, it had to be the first app, then do everything else (over a course of 3-6 months, I added around 8 cards). As always, DPs are the name of the game, and thank you for providing that!

Scores - All bureaus 756 +
TCL - Est. $275K
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

The title of this post makes me love it before even reading it lol. That’s a rough spree. Sorry about all those trials and denials. At least you still have Navy though if that’s any comfort.

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Best Buy Visa: 3k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@xaximus wrote:

... As always, DPs are the name of the game ...

Yep. Every day I look for DPs & a chuckle. Hopefully others can find both in this same spot.

Starting Score: (5/24/2018) -- FICO 08 EXP: 643; FICO 08 TU: 642; FICO 08 EQ: 677
Current Score (11/11/2020): FICO 08 EXP: 747; TU: 762; EQ: 782
2020 Goal Score: 760 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
New Contributor

Really good intel James, wish I was in RBFCU's footprint as they seem to give out pretty good size SLs and that 2% card has no FTF and Chip & PIN priority it looks like.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@AlpedHuez wrote:

Really good intel James, wish I was in RBFCU's footprint as they seem to give out pretty good size SLs and that 2% card has no FTF and Chip & PIN priority it looks like.

Yeah I’m jealous of RBFCU. I mean all the denials suck but for large cards I would be happy to just have NFCU and RBFCU cards. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.