Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card limit

Hello everyone,  I am just curious to know what credit score is needed to get approved for a high credit limit on a CC.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit card limit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,  I am just curious to know what credit score is needed to get approved for a high credit limit on a CC.

There are a lot of factors in getting high CL, not just scores. For example, your past history, AAoA, your salary, etc. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score 672 and salary $60,000 a year.  I am just curious because after I close on my mortgage loan, I want to open a new CC account with a high credit limit.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing negative on my credit report just a medical collection which is showing paid. 

Message 4 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Credit scores are usually good for initial credit. But based on my understanding and reading to get higher CL's they tend to focus on your income and your DTI. IF you think about it, would you give someone a $40k line that only makes $30k a year? Prob not. I'm not saying scores don't materr and nothing else matters. But higher CL's (really high) need 'high' incomes and low DTI. You will also need a clean payment history and a good AAoA. 

Message 5 of 10
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing negative on my credit report just a medical collection which is showing paid. 

It is really hard to predict even with all information available as different lenders use their own algorithims is allocating the CL. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information!!!

Message 7 of 10
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit score 672 and salary $60,000 a year.  I am just curious because after I close on my mortgage loan, I want to open a new CC account with a high credit limit.

In addition to your CR, income and debt profile, with some exceptions, it takes time tending smaller limits so that they grow.  Often times, big limits beget big limits ... again that takes time.  Of course, there are some exceptions to this and every now and then someone bowls me over with a big limit and a thin file.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 8 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

To add to what others are saying.....big limits aren't given.....they're earned. The only exception is Diner's and some CU's. But for others, tehy are grown. If you get an Amex you could grow it to $30k in 8.1 months time (depending on your initial CL).

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.